1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

car stereo OF DOOOOOM

Discussion in 'Serious' started by linear, 2 Jul 2003.

1. linear

linear Minimodder

Troy Irving's 18-year-old Dodge Caravan has a heck of a sound system: 72 amplifiers -- you got it, 72 -- and 36 big 16-volt batteries to put out the 130,000 watts of power needed to rumble his nine 15-inch subwoofers.
    :thumb:

At a curb weight of about 10,000 pounds, the Caravan is basically undrivable. There is virtually no room for a driver, and even less for a passenger.
    :confused:

Irving's audio system can't play music. It's designed to play a single frequency -- 74 Hz -- very loud. Irving, you see, is a dB drag racer.
    :duh:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/07/02/popsci.stereo.kill/index.html

2. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

in one of the car mags over here they had i think it was 7 pure spl vehicles all pump out the maximum amount of bass (one of the vehicles even had a sub monted as the steerign wheel & subs in the doors) & they managed to get readings that registerted on the richter scale

that is what i call bass

but the main difference with the db drag over here is that the cars can actually make a reasonable stab at music not just one single frequency

3. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

:eyebrow: 130,000 watts? 177.6db? Guess I better stop complaining about the idiot kid down the road who "entertains" the neighborhood and thank my luck stars... :D

4. westeee

westeee What's a Dremel?

what do u think will kill you first the glass shattering or the sound

and i thought my dual 15" was loud

5. ernie

ernie What's a Dremel?

DOOOOOM for his ears :D

but seriously, major $$$$

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

To put that into scale, the human heart stops at 155dB, and Concorde under full engine stress during take-off is 154dB

That is one LOUD stereo!

7. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

What a dumb ass

8. VadimtheConqueror

VadimtheConqueror I love the little tacos...

please tell me that a person can get alot of money at these competitions. because if they cant, they're really wasting their money. they're not getting anything useful. it's one thing to spend alot of money on a system that you're going to use for acctual music, it's quite another to waste thousands and thousands of dollars on something that wont get you anything in return.

9. samuelellis

not a lot of money in it actually very few places hand out cash prizes

in the deathmatch ones where they have to play ot for as loud as possible for 5 mins there is usually a very very big prize on offer

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Apparently (1 p or 2 p's?) there was some y00fs in a car "somewhere" stopped, listening (that's a loose term) to some really bangin ch00nz (replace "banging ch00nz with "crap" or "beat" if u want to call it that). The cops turned up, knocked on the window and the guy wound down the window. The beat kicked in again and the sudden extreme air pressure change caused everyone's lungs in the car to collapse and they all promptly suffocated.

True story so i was told.

11. Stew

Stew Disgruntled Postal Worker

well if you believe that your an idiot :duh:

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Serious!, the guy read it out of a car mag aparently it had pics, but i wasnt looking just eves dropping.

13. micb

micb Minimodder

First Bindibadgi and Krikkit:

Bindibadgi that story was utter BULL.

SPL of 154db does not cause heart to stop, I yes to know loads of SPL junkies who have endured mid 150's for quite a with proper hearing protection.

Heart problems and deaths from impacts have been found when a object inpacts on the chest 15-30 microseconds before the heart T-wave, thus causing ventricular fibrillation (electrical activity becomes disordered from the chambers pumping in a rapid unsyncronised way).

It is very unlikly to happen, but in sports like bassball it is a minute possibility.

As for bass impact I would say that High SPL's bass in excess of 160+ db *could* have a ultra slim chance of effecting the heart, if you are very very very unlucky or have heart serious problems.

sammeulellis: I have seen that that car with the sub as the steering wheel I think it was green (GOLF?) I am sure they were Pro-Plus woofers.

Mucho respect for Troy Irving passing mid-high 150's is hard, 170+ is insane.

14. samuelellis

yep definately pro plus woofers, i think it was a g reg mk 2 golf (or a mk 1 but i doubt it) & ti was concretel lined for what i know

i know as it was built in sheffield that mk 2 golf

scarily it is still a drivable car (ive sene it moving & being steered on tv)