1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Car wont start, unless I push it backwards

Discussion in 'General' started by tranc3, 13 Sep 2009.

1. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

So my girlfriends 1998 Acura Integra Has been acting funny lately. We replaced the batery in it and it was working fine for a few weeks but now it wont start, the starter wont even turn over unless i push/let it roll back words a little bit and then it'll start with no problem. any idea what could be causing this? thanks.

2. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Starter, clutch, gearbox, etc.

3. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

My guess is that the gear on the starter and the gear on the flywheel is crashing into eachother, istead of entering eachother. this stops the contact inside the solenoid to connect and transfer power to the actual startermotor. when you roll the car a bit forwards or backwards the mating of the two gears happen at another location where the gears on the flywheel is not so worn, and therefor the gears enter and the startermotor hets it's power, and thurns the engine over.
    so the problem is probably a worn flywheel.

thehippoz likes this.
  4. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I reckon its invisible pixies, possibly a gremlin, this could also be the reason I never have a chance of fixing cars.

5. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

+1

6. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

And maybe you should stick to legal "medication" :p

7. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

On a modern car it should be a preengaged starter motor so the starter and flywheel are always meshed. It could be either a worn ring-gear on the flywheel or a sticky solenoid on the starter motor, to rule one or the other out I would get a piece of wood long enough to reach the starter motor from under the bonnet(hood) and a hammer, put one end of the wood on the starter solenoid (generally the bulge on the side of the motor) and hit the other end with the hammer a few times, repeat for about 5 minutes if it doesn't work 1st time, if the car starts after that its a starter fault and it's a lot cheaper to fix than replacing the flywheel, not to mention you don't have to remove the gearbox.

8. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

ufk, if the starter was the problem, it would not have helped to roll the car. BUT, it's worth a try.
    And, becouse of the pre engaged starter motor, when it does not engage due to the worn ring-gear on the flywheel, the starter wont start..

But, tranc3. as you are living in the US, why drive a Honda when you can drive a real car?

9. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Not mine, It's my lady friends. :D

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

her car cant start and mine moves by itself.. !

heh

I forgot to put it in first yesterday and when I came back the car had rolled to the middle of street... I got lucky it didn't get damaged

11. Gunter

Gunter What's a Dremel?

Did you check alternator? Maybe he´s not charging the battery properly, because if you replace the battery it the car start normally is that right?

But Alekoy explanation seem´s to make sense, so probably he know what he is saying.

12. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

No, the battery is fine. I checked that. lights on, try to start didn't dim at all. brand new battery and never had a problem with the battery staying juiced it was just a 6 year old battery in it. I have a bad feeling its the fly wheel, cuase When it did start it would make a screechy/ cranking sounds..

13. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

And if it was the battery at fault, then moving it would have no effect, it wouldn't start just from being moved a bit.

14. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

not good.
    The engine tends to stop at one of four points, where one sylinder has compression, a car with a V8 stops in one of eight points, so the wear gets distrubuted more evenly on the flywheel.

you might be able to fix the flywheel as the wear is mainly on the edge where the startergear meets the flywheelgear, might be possible to spend some hours with a file to remove some rough edges, but i don't know how easy it is to reach the flywheel on your car, on my old chevy there is a cover you can remove and gain access to the flywheel and converter.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2009
  15. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

I'll have to look in to it, Do some research on a "Honda forum" ... its all shiny lights and coffee cans exhausts there.