1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Career Path To Computer Game Industry

Discussion in 'General' started by Toka, 25 Jun 2012.

1. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I'm intending on following the Computer Games Programmer route. I've been advised to take Maths, Computing and Physics. But I also took Psychology as well.

While I'm here, can somebody recommend a good university to look at for Computer Science?

2. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Well what grades do you expect to get?
    And take further maths. Your'll stand out at the lower ranked universities while its very nearly a requirement at the top ones and they'll wonder why you haven't done it.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

This is a real pain tbh.

Alot of children are asked the question 'what do you want to do when you grow up' and they merely think of there favourite things which in the past years has been video games. And the first tier of the dream is 'game tester' which they don't understand the real pain of game testing, i.e playing a game under certain settings or conditions trying to recreate a rumoured bug or know fault.

After a few weeks of playing the same level over and over the love is lost.

However the path into the industry is usual via this means, its a good way of sorting out the interns and 1000's of CV's.

The only people i know who have done well in anything is to have a passion for there subject exterior to the mainstream education system, as it merely offers a snippit into a whole world otherwise unknown.

Today the internet is a wonderful portal that offers more than just media and social media. The advice i would give is to 'google it'. Some of you may argue that's crappy teaching but if the kid shows promise and a thurst for knowledge then their google results will take them to the information required. If not then maybe the child was merely following someone elses dream which children do.