1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Carmack: Mobiles will surpass current consoles

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jul 2011.

1. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Also, to give him some more slack, he was asked this in an interview. What was he supposed to say? "I refuse to answer that question as everyone already knows the answer?"

If it's an obvious question, blame the interviewer.

2. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

heheh, most probably this one as well, he could have said "My Answer is too much for a tiny brain like yours to comprehend so I beg to comment"

3. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Yes, Mobiles will outperform PS3 before long and still Carmack won't complete work on a game. ID Software is now the last of the dinosaurs. A once giant beast standing tall and biting the legs off smaller beasts. Now the IDinosaur is almost fossilised. No longer will the people wait 10 or 15 years between each game release.

4. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

^^ this

I still play "Donkey Kong" in my game & Watch from Nintendo and you are telling me that games evolved?
    I can't believe!...
    [/sarcasm]

5. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

"not far away from the current console generation and speculates that in two years time they will be much further ahead."

What a ridiculous thing to do say. This is nothing more than headline grabbing.

6. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

oh yeah? the iPad 2 is practically there already. That's running a chipset that is identical to what will be in the next iPhone, out in the next few months if the rumours and speculation are to be believed.

12 months after that, Apple will release their next device. This is just the way things are going, dude. The current gen consoles are around 5 years old now. Things get faster; it's hardly surprising.

7. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

So how long have iD been working on Rage then? 5 Years? Jesus!

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

And "when" rage is complete, they're going to start work on Doom 4. By that time we will have 16000 core GPU's.

9. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

You missed the point. Of course mobile devices are practically there already compared to five year old technology - obviously! Carmack is comparing the mobile devices of the next couple of years to what will be SEVEN year old console technology...so of course mobiles will overtake them...but that's like comparing a modern 6-core PC with SLI/Crossfire to a pentium 4 with embedded graphics....it's not a fair comparison.

Carmack should be comparing the mobile devices of the future with the console/pcs of the future.

Thus, it's headline grabbing...he's just saying....."things in the future will be faster than the things we have now". No kidding. I'm just waiting for the "I told you this would happen" story in two years time.

10. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

As I pointed out before - Carmack's just answering an interview question, he's hardly headline grabbing. Would you respond any differently if someone asked you if you thought mobile devices would overtake today's consoles?

It's a shame how little people actually read articles before comenting.

11. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Yes, I'd respond differently.

Yes, I read the article.

Oh-em-gee, we just disagree on this. That doesn't mean I didn't read it. It means I have a different opinion.

12. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Perhaps we should not just lambast Mr Carmack for not doing anything relevant or productive in PC gaming these days (other than constant interviews) and ask Bit-Tech why they thought such a quote was newsworthy enough to build 95% of an article around it?
    Again, there was an editorial from Bit-Tech/CPC recently proclaiming that they didn't follow the journalistic herd of sheep by posting every little quip and quote by anyone and everyone to sensationalise and fill space - please someone justify to me why the above article doesn't fall totally into that category? Come on, Bit-Tech, !QUALITY please, not just QUANTITY. It seems barely a week goes by when there isn't an article on here from Carmack (not ANOTHER Carmack article... Groan...) reporting on some 'newsworthy' comment of his in some pointless interview or other. Let's try and get some interviews from the relevant people in the software and ahrdware industry, not people who were relevant back in the mid-nineties...

13. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

This. +1

14. sjatin68

sjatin68 What's a Dremel?

this is not applicable for atleast
    xbox 360 reason kinect.
    and as far the raw grunt is concerned its just a matter of a year for these devices to catch up with current gen consoles

15. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

^^ +2

Carmack, why don't you make a best selling top 3 game again first, and then you can say whatever you want and we will probably believe you (again)

16. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

+1

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Argh! No! Must hold back rampent ID Software fanboyism! Must resist temptation to flame everyone!

Sigh. I know everyone's right, I just can't help it, I love them far too much to disagree with anything Carmack says, no matter how bleeding obvious or unhelpful.

I'll go away now and play Doom 2 in a corner somewhere.

18. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

I suspect it wont Carmack. Even with Tegra 3 and the other quad-core arm processors coming by Q1 next year you are still behind the X360 and PS3 in tech. And I think your forgetting the PS4 and Xbox Next will be coming up soon for release. In order for mobile to surpass the currently unknown tech we need smart phones with at least eight-core processors that do their form of hyperthreading, GPUs equal to a GTX460 minimum, and 2Gbs of ram.

Tags: Add Tags