1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Carmack shuns dedicated PPU cards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep, I think the problem for Ageia is that game development is very expensive these days (and it wasn't in the early GPU days) and thus it is hard for Ageia to get really compelling games on the market that require a PPU to play.

For publishers it is all about the install base these days, especially when you're talking about potentially tens of millions of dollars to develop a game today. It's going to take an indie developer (or even a modder) to create something really compelling that is exclusive to PhysX powered systems and if that happens, the PhysX could get the boot it really needs.

I believe there still are people out there that buy into a platform (i.e. Ageia's PhysX PPU) because of really compelling content that is exclusive to that platform (remember the days of GLQuake?). More recently, there are games like Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Halo, Final Fantasy, Zelda and so on that people go out and buy consoles for. I did it with Gran Turismo - I bought a PS2 to play GT3 (and then sold it later) and then bought a PSTwo to play GT4.

2. completemadness

completemadness New Member

well said, i dont quite see why ageias api didnt take off better
    the deal was it was free as long as you made the game take advantage of a PPU and quite a few games did take up on it

http://www.ageia.com/physx/titles.html

but there are only 5 engines using it apparently, and how many of them are actually out at the moment ?

Hopefully, more support will come in, sadly things like havok have been out much longer, and have a much larger customer base

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I've got an article about Ageia which should be going live later today, in which the VP of marketting comments on Carmacks view and the future for the PPU, makes an interesting read (I hope) for those who are inteested.

Tags: Add Tags