1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor "CarP3" Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Heavytank2, 4 Jan 2006.

1. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

I am thinking along the lines of a Mini-ITX with a 80GB hard-drive.

Linux would be a logical choice because of its insane boot speed of some builds. Which do you recommend (GUI based)?

Screen choice? I don't fancy having a huge LCD in my car due to prying eyes/hands. But I don't want a blurry image either (to read song names).

Help? Indecision sucks.

2. fev

fev Industry Fallout

liliput or xenaric 7"/8" TFT
    use windows 98 at least...

Front ends you can use include.. (ones i've tried)

Media Engine

Mobile Media Centre and a custom Vauxhaul one i'm going to use on a friends install later on in the month.. need to find details on it later.

Make sure to use a psu with a delayed startup, one which turns on after the key's been turned

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What do you do about it when you switch off your car? How does it know to shut down, and indeed have enough power to do so?

4. fev

fev Industry Fallout

these car psu's use the car battery (which should be a deep cycle one).

They automatically shut down if there's a dip in the batteries power, or when the ignition is turned off... it's a proper shut down not a power off.

You have several options, like it doesn't have to shut down or it can go into a deep sleep

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sounds nice. I'd like to do something like this, ive seen BSD linux run entirely through a MO LCD display, which would be superb, but ive no idea how to do that. A whole LCD screen seems excessive unfortunately.

where do you get the psus?

6. fev

fev Industry Fallout

they're called opus.. well the brand i use

google for the best prices

7. m4rk3d

m4rk3d Minimodder

MP3car forums are a wealth of information on this sort of thing, they have their own store that sells most of the parts too.

Anyone looking to build a carPC should definitely have a trawl through the FAQ emporium for lots of tips.

8. fev

fev Industry Fallout

agreed ^^^^

Tags: