1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Carphonewarehouse laptop offers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jaguar_Infinity, 9 Aug 2008.

1. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

Hi there

I'm due to get a mobile upgrade next week and i will have the option of a laptop as a free gift by the looks of things. The Acer laptop does look interesting but im also intreged by this new Webbook. decent reviews seem sketchy but it looks like it could do what i would like. It may be a good (and free) option for a project ive been thinking about to make a system i can take into the outdoors with me, for this i would need to add a GPS receiver and Memory map software among other things. Would the 1.6Ghz Via chip and 512mb ram make it usefull for this? anyone know if the RAM is upgradable? Anyone even got any experiance using one?

The other option is getting a PS3 and selling it on raising the bulk of the cash needed for an EEE PC for the project

Any thaughts welcome

Stuart

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

You'll have to narrow this down for us mate - which Acer laptop are you looking at?

What do you want an Eee PC for? Would a PS3 not be useful, if only to flog via ebay?

That "webbook" doesn't look great, in all honesty. What else do you have on offer? I think it's worth thinking about what'll be more useful. :)

3. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

sure. the acer is

the webbook specs from carphonewarehouse are

I know the info is limited but that is all i have to go on. The project i have in mind for an eee pc is modding it for outdoor use. I work as a watersports instructor and i go all over the place teaching this stuff and doing it for fun, i was looking at an eee pc to mod with GPS and mapping and possibly mobile internet to name a few things so when i'm in the middle of no where i can still be a geek. I was looking for anyone with experiance with these cheepy webbooks carphone warehouse are giving away as an alternative i can use for my project. The acer looks to big for what i want (i want something i can pack down small and keep in a dry bag with all my other kit) and the PS3 well, yes i can sell it and get a quick £170 or so but its hassle and if this webbook is good enough then why bother? especially when i may have to go on a more long term or expensive contract to get it

Stuart

4. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

The acer without a doubt.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Whats worth the most? Get what ever has the largest resale value then if you find you don't need it you can still punt it on for a profit.

6. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!