1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Cascade, White Water & RBX comparision !!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blackeagle, 2 Feb 2004.

1. Blackeagle

Blackeagle What's a Dremel?

www.procooling.com

pH of Pro Cooling has finished his testing of 3 of the best water blocks on the market.

FINALLY, a head to head comparison of these blocks that many have wanted to see done!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :

2. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Cheers for the heads up Blackeagle.........certainly made my coffee and kitkat a whole lot nicer :thumb:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< very interested to see what others make of it!

3. M_D_K

M_D_K Minimodder

Well that was quite interesting, will read the rest of it later but it basicly backed up what i already thought.

Must go out and get me a WW now so i have a set :p

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

Interesting points were made about the RBX design, I had looked at the design a few times previously and thought that it could prove to be a problem when mounting on the Athlon XP die. I was fairly sure that the outcome would be as it did before reading the review, and that merely confirms my initial assumptions.

I'd be interested to see something done along these lines with the top 3/8" blocks.

Very informative review imo :)

5. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Yeah I'm surprised there was no mention of using a Tweakmonster Shim because that cured the problem completely of the block not being stable on the few occasions i have mounted the RBX.

Hey M_D_K i'm in the process of having 2 WW's polished (1x AMD & 1x P4) and there's one with your name on it...........quite literally :D

[​IMG]

6. Risky

Risky Modder

So does this just say that the cascade is very well made, or can we infer that three barb designs should only be used at the highest flow rates?

7. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

The three barb design is simply a requirement of the white water and rbx designs. Without it, you wouldn't get flow separating evenly either side of the central inlet.

It just so happens that the cascade doesn't need it.

Too many people are getting sucked into believing the tree barb design has everything to do with flow rates and so on. Granted it may reduce the resisitance to flow by a miniscule amount, but it is merely there because the particular design needs it.

I don't see how you can infer that the three barb design should only be used at high flow rates. It is the internals of the block which determine at what flow rates the block should be used, and it is a testament to the work cathar has put into the design of the cascade that it works so well at such a large range of flow rates. I cannot think of a better block at the moment.

8-ball

8. Risky

Risky Modder

I'm not sure that was what I was trying to infer.

I was just wondering that since the blocks had comparable results at high flow, but there was a major advantage with the cascade at lower flow, that the 3-barb designs (and I think you can guess that I meant blocks designed with dual outlets and a central inlet to ensure "flow separating evenly either side of the central inlet") might suffer more from a reduction in flow rate, than that blocks of a similar design to the cascade.

9. 8-BALL

No it is the simply the higher degree of impingement in the cascade which results in higher performance.

The cascade originally came with dual outlets but it was found that reducing the design to a single outlet had no effect on performance.

It is the internal design of the RBX and the White water that is more flow sensitive, due to the impingement involved rather than the fact it has two outlets.

Both the white water na dthe RBX could be designed with a single outlet, by running two channels within the block from either side of the fins two a single outlet in some other location.

8-ball

10. 8-BALL

Essentially, the jets in the cascade work better at low flow rates than the nozzles in the white water and the RBX.

8-ball

11. Blackeagle

Reading that I began hearing this voice.......... :jawdrop:

Larger heater core + MD-20 Iwaki + SS Cascade....... 2c+ better than what you have.......... :clap:

Will also set me back another $400 USD........... :waah:

Yet I feel this rising compulsion................ :naughty: :hehe: :rock:

Last edited: 3 Feb 2004
  12. Blackeagle

I'll also be interested in seeing pH's testing of the RBX's #4 jet, it should increase the RBX performance some with a strong pump like a Mag 3, Iwaki MD15 or better. Wonder where the RBX & WW performance curves will meet then?

13. M_D_K

M_D_K Minimodder

O my god :D
    :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Urm not sure what to say really thats cool :p only just seen that hehe been studying :( but damn thats cool :D

anyway back on topic :p

Someone has had too much time in photoshop hehe :p

Last edited: 4 Feb 2004
  14. BadOldMan

BadOldMan What's a Dremel?

If you are a member at OCAU

Have a look here as the Cascade design has since evolved AGAIN into a dual output design.

15. 8-BALL

Where does it state that the cascade has evolved into a dual outlet design. (page number?)

If you are looking at the first post of the thread you have linked to, you should check the date! That is the original cascade thread started May of LAST year.

8-ball

Tags: