1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Case Fans

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ad_no1, 12 May 2009.

1. ad_no1

ad_no1 New Member

2. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I'm no expert on the subject but to me it sounds like a faulty controller as surely it should be working on the basis that it lowers the voltage, which would force the fans to slow down.

3. ad_no1

ad_no1 New Member

Fan Controller

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I e-mailed Scythe as well and the representative told me that I purchased the wrong fans.
    He explained that for the fan controller to control the speed of the fan they need to have a standard 3-pin fan connector for power and rpm signal.

So now I wondering if the Thermaltake Blue-Eye LED Case Fan will do the job.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1164&ID=1725

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Specs say that those new fans you're looking at are 3-pin. So that would be a 'yes'. Unless Thermaltake do anything weird and wacky with their fans.

You might want to have a look and see if you can get some fans that have a start voltage lower than 6v... that Scythe controller varies from 3.7v-12v, so that's quite a bit of fan stall space on the variable resistor.

5. kgwagner

kgwagner New Member

You need fans with tach feedback, and those Thermaltake parts aren't being clear about how they're managing that, if at all.

For what you're spending on fans and a controller, you may want to consider just buying some decent fans to begin with. You may find you don't need a controller. Noctua makes some fans that are spooky quiet, as does Scythe and Papst.

Since you clearly have a Scythe dealer you can get things from, I'd recommend their fans. They use fluid dynamic bearings, so they have some ridiculously long MTBF ratings - like 150,000 hours - and they also have tach feedback if you still want to hook them to a controller of some sort. They'll also come with a variety of connector adaptors and vibration-reducing mounting. They call them their "S-Flex" series fans, and the models S-FDB 120D, S-FDB 120E, S-FDB 120F, and S-FDB 120G models are 800, 1,200, 1,600, and 1,900 RPMs, respectively.

Naturally, the faster ones are louder, but they're still quieter than many typical fans. Here's a descriptive page if you'd care to review it.

Last edited: 13 May 2009
  6. reggie50

reggie50 New Member

I bought the non-Ace version of the controller and some S-flex 1600 fans to replace the ones in my P180. They are sooo good. quieter then the old Antec ones, even at full pelt and are inaudible at 900rpm. Just need to decide if I can be bothered to change the cooler on my GPU and I'll have a 'silent' PC.