1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case-Less PC setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OneSeventeen, 3 Jun 2004.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I'm in the process of making a new case, but want to get my PC up and running, so I'm going to have it sit open-faced on my desktop. The only question I have, is should I place a static bag underneath it, nothing at all, or spacers?

2. dastt

dastt What's a Dremel?

when i run a pc out of a case i put down the foam pad that comes with the motherboard and then a static bag, dont know if this is right but i have never had any problems with it.

3. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Yes, any anti static precaution underneath the mobo is a good thing and the foam padding will protect any connection on the bottom of the mobo :) I use a similar setup for my test rig which sits around the place.

Proph.

4. Blassster

Blassster What's a Dremel?

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=52532

After reading this, putting an anti-static bag underneith it sounds like a bad idea.

Edit: He did get the board working after that...but still. I wouldn't trust the possibility of something being melted onto my motherboard.

5. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Rofl, fair enough, prop the mobo up in each corner with a screw then. Keeps it off the bag and you still get the anti static goodness. That however is funny, cant say its ever happened to me tho :) lol

Proph.

6. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Well, the only problem I have now is it occassionally has spurts of electricity going through it... so the fans will 'flicker' on and off, but I think that may have just been something with the PSU as it was just out-of-the-box and after about 30 min it doesn't do it anymore....

now if I could only find those IDE cables I could get started!!!

7. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

DO NOT PUT THE STATIC BAG UNDER THE MOBO!

It is static resistant but the outer part of the bag does contain metal! It will cause a short circut if you run you're PC sitting on te bag.

8. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Learning more every post, simple solution again tho, cut bag open, turn inside out, seal bag at edges with black tape??

Proph.

9. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Just stick it on a piece of wood - never had any problems doing that.

I'm "guessing" that the PSU can then supply an earth connection via the wall socket - someone might want to confirm that...

10. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I dont have my continuity tester at present but the inside may also conduct...i just took a piece of plexi and a made universal motherbad tray :rock:

wood would also work.

11. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I think I'll stick with just my wooden desk right now. It does have a layer of paint, but I don't think it should be too bad. I'll try and find an old motherboard tray tomorrow and mount it on that, and possibly put the anti-static bag underneath it all.

Well, I just looked around, and apparently I do not have any more spacers, so tomorrow I'm going to run by the used computer store and see if they've got any extras. I used to have a ton of them, but I can't find my computer toolkit that has all my extra screws & spacers. (although I did find my IDE cables, which was nice! :) )

EDIT::
    Does plexi not conduct at all? I may soon be using it to create a small testing case with a place for 1 HDD and 1 CD ROM directly underneath the mobo if it is that safe :)

Do I still need some sort of spacer though?

12. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

In short...No it doesnt.

13. Sniper-X

Sniper-X What's a Dremel?

While modding a case a couple of years back i make a complete case out of cardboard lol....i used it for like 3 weeks till all the parts came in it rocked :rock: I actually had a friend of mine ask if i could make them one for their PC lol

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

use the foam out of the motherboard box... whatever you do, don't use an antistatic bag.

15. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

so, aluminum foil will be allright then :naughty:

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I thought the whole point of an anti static bag was that it doesnt have static... period. Anyone know what its made out of?
    Ive put equipment on desks bare, anti-static bags, foam from mobo box and never had any ill effects.

17. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

As pointed out in the other thread, (most) anti-static bags prevent static dischange BY BEING CONDUCTIVE! Thus, it is a patently bad idea to run stuff that might be offended by being shorted on an anti-static bag.

18. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Just sticking the board on the box does the job here, havent had any problems so far running pc's this way....

Gonna make a custom BigZ stylee open pc as a temp measure when I go home, have an old case to chop up for a the mobo tray, and a couple of spare drive cages....

Always thought the foam that came with the mobos was conductive as well.... sure we did some volgae tests on it at it conducts over a small distance....

19. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

This may or may not be important, but when I built a case out of wood, I connected all the components together with a wire. Just wasn't sure if the steel/ali cases acts like a earth/negative - so rather than let static or something build up in the harddisk etc, the wire brought it to the PSU.

Again, this might not be important, but better safe than sorry!

But during short periods of time I've never had a problem from just running the parts on carpet etc (although I was touching raditors and tapes as oftern as possible to avoid static).

/edit:
    Thinking about it, I've seen rounded IDE cables about which have little wires coming off them to goto the case for earthing - so the case must do something

20. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Rig in my sig is running under my desk, and my backup setup is in the PC60 at the moment - I've got it on the foam and the mobo box, if it's just on the foam then PCI/AGP cards won't fit in all the way but with the extra height provided by the box, the brackets can hang over the edge ;)