1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Lighting: Old School Cool or not anymore?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Guest-16, 3 Jul 2007.

?

Case window & lighting

1. Old school cool

134 vote(s)
    68.7%
  2. Just crap and horrid

61 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Fophillips

Fophillips New Member

Case lights were never, are never, and never will be cool.

2. sethnmalice

sethnmalice New Member

in the begining there was light and plexi and the mod was born, and from it came forth a horde of creative self motivated people, in which to carve their talented skills across any case they could find.

First it was the window, then the lights then the led fans, then we had to have lights external, and super bright, and then we wanted more fans and more colors, then we had to have a window on the otherside and then on the top, and from that we progressed to adding fans to our windows, and changing the color of our windows, then we got rid of beige and black became popular and soon that was followed by silver, and the beige case, seemed no more, and there they lay, rusting to pieces and we sat and thought, why cant we mod those cases, we looked and stared, and saw character in each case and we modded, we joined groups and showed our cases off with pride, and more people came and some joined in, then we got into LCD's and monitoring devices, because we evolved and began overclocking our processors, and we needed more fans and we evolved again and had watercooling, we were going numb from modding that we took it to another level and began modding toasters and microwaves, letterboxes, anything we could shove our technology into , we did, with pride, for the world to see, and they saw, and the companies who's parts we bought saw the potential for more products to help fuel our thirst for modding.

If they build it, it will be modded, incorporated into our lovely overclocked water cooled super aluminium beasts, that sit under our desk , powering our mind boggling games on even more mind boggling videocards, with ram to help things along on super cool motherboards , with our overclocked cpu's our 20 case fans spining at 800 rpm, because we learnt over time that we didnt want a V8 or plane engine runing under our desk, or with our watercooled parts, UV infected, glowing through one of our many modded windows.

Our cases are our canvas and the forum is our stage, and we build and mod with pride, we have our peers that have opened the way for the future of modding, to be so out there, that nothing is impossible to do, because if your not doing it, then you know for a fact ur brothers and sisters in another country are doing it, but we all sail under the same banner...old school / new school...it dosnt matter, the fact is we mod and we should be proud.

3. Daniel114

Daniel114 New Member

I admit I was a giddy as a giddy thing when I bought my first glass side case with some fancy neon lights, but nowadays I'm all about the covered up case. I think with me its just because my bedroom has changed as I've moved around.

Nowadays I don't think I could get away with neon lights without the place reminding me of being a student.... saying that though my mouse, keyboard, speakers and monitor give off enough light to safetly guide a small aircraft to land.

Still maybe its the tech-freaks mid life crisis and in another 30 years or so I'll be trying to entice hot college chicks back to my bedroom with the promise of maplins blue cathode lights and exposed computer parts.

4. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

QFT.

5. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Hell, I'd just be concerned about luring them back to my room to expose things that aren't computer related.

6. Grings

Grings I am rubber, you are glue

Well executed lighting can be very nice, but putting LED fans and Cold Cathodes in an otherwise standard case should be outlawed, its just nasty

7. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

If done right lighted cases are amazing. IMHO flashers make it look like crap; neat wire management is imperative; and the ability to turn off the lighting is a must.

I got some acrylic LED illuminated case feet (for my acrylic case build) and immediately removed the flasher/control unit. I also like the A.C.Ryan Blackfire4 fans since they have the LEDs on a separate harness so they can easily be controlled.

So i say Old school is cool (if done right)

8. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

I'm of the same mind as above, done well and tastefully, window/lights is old school cool.

9. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Currently Rebuilding

If tastefully incorporated, even over-the-top lighting has its place.

I shall show you when I start my rebuild of my PC. It's time to do what I was always planning...

10. DragonONE

DragonONE New Member

I'm an old school man.. Defenately. I cannot say i have a certain flavour when it comes to mods, but i do appriciate a mod, where i can see the modders craftmanship and the effort put into the mod.

I recall the reasons that got me into moddin' : I had to improve the airflow for my overclocked Pentium 1 @133Mhz... That involved rounding cables, fanduct, fanadaptor 92mm -> 60mm.. solutions made for technical purposes..

Then came the second wave. Windows got to be hype.. paint jobs... stealthing external drives..

Third wave brought us water....

The waves kept comming and this has let us to the point where we stand now: The New Age of Modding...

What else is there to say, other than : MODDER'S REJOICE - Life if grand - Modding is great..

11. mod-zoo

mod-zoo New Member

I happen to like case lighting so long as it's done with style and not overly done. Just remember it's a computer and not a lamp.

12. nickhelton

nickhelton New Member

i wouldnt say old school cool...but still cool nonetheless....if done right and made clean

13. MrMonroe

MrMonroe New Member

Like any strategy, it looks good when tasteful and garish when poorly executed.