1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case mod...40%ish done...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Flibster, 14 Jul 2003.

1. Flibster

Flibster What's a Dremel?

Just thought I'd post these WIP pics of my 2 £15 cases.

About 30% done. BTW piccies taked from my phone (NEC e606) so not wonderfull but you get the idea.

Now finishing the filling and the the like. Whole flat ois covered in a layer of dust from all the P38 I'm using. Good thing is it dries in minites in this weather.

Started out as the red one on the left...pretty nasty..
    http://www.jnc.com.tw/product-image/122_t1_d.jpg

Now...

http://www.flibster.eclipse.co.uk/case1.jpg
    http://www.flibster.eclipse.co.uk/case2.JPG
    http://www.flibster.eclipse.co.uk/case3.JPG
    http://www.flibster.eclipse.co.uk/case4.jpg

Both cases have been bolted together after removing the rear and the mobotray from one of them.

Not sure what colour to paint it yet...

Thinking about pure white with white cathodes etc...Other wise it'll probably be painted gray to match the room. White would not be nice to keep clean.

Got some mesh to go in the cut out's under the 3.5" bays that I need to do, the front panels have now been bolted together and are in the process of being filled and sanded. *any voulenteers???, my arm is really aching now.*

The front panels. These were very loosely bolted together then fitted to the case, then good old p38 came to play.

Filled the gap between them and an now working on getting the curve on the middle section of the case down to nothing. Lots of p38 to go I think, unless someone can suggest a better method. *thought about foamcard...but can't get hold of any.

The mesh you can almost see in the first one is going to be in front of the fans there.

http://www.flibster.eclipse.co.uk/case5.jpg
    http://www.flibster.eclipse.co.uk/case6.jpg

Just bought a B&D Mouse...should make my life easier.

Simon/~Flibster

2. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

This could be interesting........

Keep us updated....

What other plans have you got....?

I would make the front totally flat. Then put some plexi in there or aluminium....:D

Looking good so far....

Not white. Maybe a metallic grey or a black. Grey with white cathodes and white leded fans....MMMmmmm...:rock:

3. Flibster

W

Ran out of P38 filler last night trying to get the curve in the center of the case down. Will pop to halfords later today to get some more.

Side window is in contention at the moment. Not sure what to do. That will come though.

Probably going to stay away from metallics. Just don't think they look right on a PC.

Was going watercooling with this case, but decided to use this for my server instead.

It's going to be a Xp1800+ in an Epox 8k3a+ with a AX-7 cooling it. Progably 1gb 2100 with it as well.

2x120mm fans in the front, 1 in the perspex in the rear, 2x80mm's in the rear behind the cpu, 120 in the window with ducting to blow air onto the cpu. Thats the plan anyway.

1x400w micron psu
    1x300w generic to power the fans/lcd etc.
    4x120gb hdd raid 0+1,
    2x160gb hdd's,
    CD-RW,
    DVD-R/W,
    Front USB hub,
    4x20 Crystalfontz LCD Screen
    Possibly the SCSI rig from my old server as well...depends if I need the storage space. :D

Main priority atm is to get the front panel flat enough and then fitting the mesh. Then the positioning of the Power and reset switched can be determined and then the led's.

Yes...no plan on this case whatsoever. :duh: Just modding as I go when I think of things.

If I make a balls up...it's only £30 (about $50 for the americans out there...)

Next up is the window. Luckilly I've got 2 spare sides so I can have a play. Then the perspex cuting. Got to do 2 windows. The rear panel and the side panel.

Will put together what I've got atm and get some pics done tonight. :D

Sorry for the poor quality...Nec e606 is a great phone, but a poor camera.

Simon/~Flibster

4. ChillingSP

ChillingSP What's a Dremel?

Re: W

Good starting :D

Man, you're not runnin' out of storage space for sure !

Ehm...there is also an italian out there :grr:

5. Flibster

Terribly sorry old chap. :blush:

Try €42 instead then. :D

Don't intend to run out of storage. It's mainly going to be a disk image server *for restores and backups* mp3 server and whatever else. :)

I'm trying to build a dedicated machine for all this rather than one of my main rigs taking all the strain.

Simon/~Flibster

6. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

woot your on Eclipse :rock: they rule

nice case keep it up

[im on eclipse :p]

7. Flibster

Yup..looked at all the deals around at the time. Eclipse were the best. :)

Evening update:

What I did today...

Bought mroe P38...to damn hot for anything else.

Sat in front os a 18" desk fan atm... Not as good as aircon, but it'll do for now.

Will think about doing something else tomorrow.

Simon/~Flibster

8. ChillingSP

ChillingSP What's a Dremel?

Hey man, where are you?
    I want some modding news from you :p

9. Flibster

WOW...someone else is reading this. :lol:

Well..work has stalled atm. Too damn hot and the missus was having a go at me about the state of the flat. :D

However, going to be full mod ahead this weekend. :dremel:

Going to try and finish the front of the case. I have the P38 and I'm not scared to use it.

List of things to do this weekend.

1) P38 the front.

2) Sand the front

3) Cut and fit the mesh.

4) Get some perspex

5) Tidy the window that was cut with a Rotozip up as it's crap, or buy more reinforced cutting discs and cut a new window.

6) Fill the other side panels recessed portions with p38 and sand to hell. :)

7) Cut the perspex to fit the window and the rear panel including the 120mm fan holes.

8) Re cut the above after I crack the first one *I know I'll have to do this. :D*

9) Test fitting....

10) Think of somewhere to put the power/reset buttons and power/hdd LED's Thinking in the top panel for the buttons and behind the mesh for the LED's...may look odd though.

11) Try to find my white/UV cathodes. I know I've got them somewhere....

12) order new cathodes when I find broken cathodes. *optimism again. :D*

13) Tidy the flat before the missus comes home. *this is the hardest one....*

Simon/~Flibster

Any suggestions btw on the possible locations fo the LED's and power/reset buttons? Knew I should have come up with some designs before just doing this.

Modding by the seat of your pants...don't ya just love it. :D