1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress CASE MOD: "Spirit of the Dragon and the Tiger" Launch Party!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 28 Jul 2008.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

This Case Mod was done by bit-tech's MOTM Sponser, Mnpctech!
    [​IMG]

Customize your PC or window with custom Stickers from Mnpctech HERE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Mnpctech.com case mod project is for an individual inspired by these two masters of the martial arts. These masters are Ed Parker and Bruce Lee.

This image seeded the idea for the overall theme
    [​IMG]

Project Video

Quoted from Wikipedia

Edmund Parker
    (March 19, 1931–December 15, 1990) was an American martial artist, promoter, teacher, and author.
    Ed Parker's Bio on Wiki

Ed Parker’s American Kenpo or Kenpo Karate is a system of martial arts characterized by the use of quick moves in rapid-fire succession intended to overwhelm an opponent. It is largely marketed as a self-defense system, and is derived from traditional Southern Chinese kung fu and other martial arts found in the cultural melting pot of Hawaii. Parker introduced significant modifications in his art, including principles, theories, and concepts of motion as well as terminology, throughout his life. He left behind a large number of instructors who teach many different versions of American Kenpo.

Kenpo Creed

I come to you with only "KARATE" - empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor; should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons - "KARATE" - my empty hands.

- Ed Parker

Ed Parker Demos

Bruce Lee
    (November 27, 1940 – July 20, 1973) was an American-born martial artist, philosopher, instructor, martial arts actor and the founder of the Jeet Kune Do martial arts system, widely regarded as the most influential martial artist of the twentieth century and a cultural icon.
    Bruce Lees Bio on Wiki

Lee was born in San Francisco, California and raised in Hong Kong. His Hong Kong and Hollywood-produced films elevated the traditional Hong Kong martial arts film to a new level of popularity and acclaim, and sparked the first major surge of interest in Chinese martial arts in the West. The direction and tone of his films changed and influenced martial arts and martial arts films in Hong Kong and the rest of the world as well. Lee became an iconic figure particularly to the Chinese, as he portrayed Chinese national pride and Chinese nationalism in his movies.[2] Many see Lee as a model blueprint for acquiring a strong and efficient body and the highest possible level of physical fitness, as well as developing a mastery of martial arts and hand to hand combat skills. He primarily practiced Chinese martial arts (Kung Fu).

“If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.”

- Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Tribute

The case is Lian Li's PC-7 plus. It is in my opinion the best aluminum midtower case for modding. It's simple design makes a perfect blank canvas. It's also manufactured using superior stamping methods and materials. This means you can alter it by adding additional fan holes and windows without entirely compromising it's durability.

Lian Li PC-7 plus
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm installing an 120mm intake in the floor of our Lian Li's chassis
    [​IMG]

We first apply 3M Green (low tack) Painters tape before marking off the fan hole location. We're using a 120mm steel fan guard as out template for the fan hole with a measuring square.
    [​IMG]

The fan guard allows you to mark the center of the fan hole.
    [​IMG]

Using center punch to pin point center before using 1-1/2" hole saw attachment to accommondate Knockout shaft.
    [​IMG]

After cutting 1-1/2" hole for Greenlee knockout shaft.
    [​IMG]

Greenlee Knockout Punch for 120mm fan holes
    [​IMG]

Tightening Knockout Punch with Socket Wrench
    [​IMG]

Removed portion of chassis (120mm hole)
    [​IMG]

A Clean cut, no need to file burrs created by a 4.5" hole saw
    [​IMG]

Using Roper Whitney Hand Punch to cut fan screw mounting holes
    [​IMG]

Another clean cut fan hole!
    [​IMG]

We're now ready to install the 120mm cooling fan, The chassis is elevated
    with Machined Aluminum "Diamond Knurl" Case Feet
    [​IMG]

I've installed the 120mm cooling fan as an intake, (drawing cool air into chassis) I will attach a filter beneath the fan, otherwise your fan will draw in a lot of dust.
    [​IMG]

Next I went over to Brad's shop to prep and paint the chassis with a new coat of Mazda Miata Yellow with some House of Kolor Pearl ...

Lian Li PC-7plus (aluminum chassis)
    [​IMG]

CLARKE brand 80 grit media
    [​IMG]

Filling CLARKE ABRASIVE BLASTER with 80 Grit Garnet Blasting Media
    [​IMG]

Brad blasting surface of computer chassis outdoors. You need to cover your face and skin from this stuff!
    [​IMG]

After blowing off the chassis of any remaining blasting media, we clean the surface with a Tack cloth.
    [​IMG]

Brad applies the first of 3 coats of Mazda Miata Yellow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final coat is House of Kolor Pearl
    [​IMG]

After HoK Pearl, Brad applies the clearcoat.
    [​IMG]

After the clear is applied, the color and pearl really pops!
    [​IMG]

I'll be posting a video of explaining each step of painting the chassis this week
    [​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Project Update 7/30/08, 250mm Fan Grill

[​IMG]

Project Update 7/31/08, Machined 120mm Fan Grill, Black Anodized

[​IMG]

Project Update 8/1/08, Elevated chassis for 120mm floor intake fan

[​IMG]

Project Update 8/02/08, Airbrushed 250mm Fan grill

[​IMG]

Project Updated 8/04/08, Custom made Case Accessories by Mnpctech

[​IMG]

and check out Mnpctech's new fan grill for 200mm / 230mm cooling fans, http://www.mnpctech.com/200mm_230mm_fan_grill.html

[​IMG]

Grooved PC case feet, http://www.mnpctech.com/CaseFeetMachined.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Feb 2012
  2. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

awesome work as allways bill another great mod in the making :thumb:

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

That paint looks fantastic Bill!

4. nickhelton

nickhelton What's a Dremel?

Already looking sick. HOK makes awesome paint. We did a chameleon job on a Stingray with it...ooooh :D
    Love the pearl. Is orange going to be the accent color?

5. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

I'll agree with everyone else, the paint does look great! I can't wait to see where you take this one!

6. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

The side panel design is going to look amazing on the case, Bill!

7. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I've started using acrylic cos my painting sucks .. now My acrylic sucks ..which is less upsetting than bad painting ..
    Excellent colour though I am loving it ..
    very 70's velour tracksuit ...not that I can recal the 70's as I am way too young ... (rolls eyes) I watched a few UK Gold programs (re runs) ...<cough>

8. tomcatt

tomcatt WoodWoodWood

I like the paintjob - it looks amazing - can't wait to see the result of this mod :thumb:

9. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Another great start to another great mod! Gotta love having the right tools for the job eh? Makes it faster and more fun, not having to deal with drill bits, cutoff wheels, and filing. :D

Did Brad not apply any primer to the chassis before spraying on the yellow, or did you just not show that step?

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:hehe:
    +1 It needs some crushed velvet accents. I have no idea where you would find YELLOW velvet though... Maybe some glittered boat seat vinyl.

11. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

congrats on the mag Bill and that paint it hot man, nice choice

12. mnpctech

Thanks for the great comments everybody!

That color does have that 70's Lowrider vibe about it. We've got a sweet idea planned for the design on the case

Yes, we primed it, I used SEM's "self etching primer" in aerosol can, between drinking the Margaritas we forgot to record that step..
    Still,no time wasted hand sanding all the crevices in the chassis. Just blast it, and wipe off the any remaining media, then prime it.
    Now you're now ready for paint. It's slick.

You can buy the Clarke Media Blaster for $109.99 + $60 for the mask. We bought 2x 50 pd tubs of 80 grit media go for $22 apiece. Maybe used 1/4 of that for the chassis

13. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

killer paint job bill. great to see another mod from you

14. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

That is one nice paint job. The yellow+pearl looks killer.
    So you guys don't reclaim the media? I used to do a little sandblasting and we had a recovery case with the gloves built in and a window. It had a sloped bottom and a funnel bottom with a filter. It helped reclaim a 75-90% of the media used.

15. mnpctech

We will start reclaiming the Media. Brad just bought the Blaster

Heres the sketch for the 250mm fan grill for the side panel, I posted this (guide to installing Thermaltake 250mm cooling fan) in a computer side panel.

The tentative plan was to use the HAAS mill to cnc the ring and dragon as seperate pieces from 3/16" thick 6061 aluminum, but the design is too intricate for the mill. I've been on the phone talking with some local laser cutting outfits, none of them can laser aluminum, but I can have it done in in steel and paint it..

The delivery day for this case is next Thursday, so I don't have a lot of time to research all of my options for local resources.. when this happens, you decide on the best solution for the situation... right now I'm waiting for a call back quote on cutting it in 14 gauge steel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

I love the dragon! So, I take it aluminum poses a problem for laser cutters? Too soft?

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

It's a weird problem that I've been thinking about too. Higher-wattage lasers can cut aluminum, but the lower ones, no. Which is odd that they can cut steel. I'm sure there's a reason I just don't know what.

18. .Fatality.

.Fatality. What's a Dremel?

nice fan grill! awsome i like you you heave great skills!:thumb:

19. Nolimited

Nolimited What's a Dremel?

Amazing mod and really nice color and pearl other nice mod done by you Bill :thumb: :clap:

20. MoRBiD

MoRBiD Minimodder

Looks Cool.
    Can I have half your budget ?
    Thanks!

Tags: