1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Case paint stripping, can it be done?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mord, 18 Aug 2004.

1. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

Ive recently sprayed a case black and left it outside to dry (auto spray paint), but after a little trip out for the day i came home to discover it had rained and f'ked up the paint job.

Would paint stripper take off all the paint down to the bare metal surface? or am I better off sanding it back down then using some really tough paint like hammerite?

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I wouldn't reccoment using paint stripper, I've seen what it has done to some cases, it sort of eroded the metal making it useless. As i've done before I would sand it down and fine tune the surface, and respray

3. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

To save Time, I suggest a paint stripping wheel, They fit standard drills and will take the paint off quite quicker than sanding

4. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

Hmm, dont really want to have to buy another tool attachment :(. Ill crack out a sanding block and see how effective that is.

Then on with the hammerite paint!

5. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

I use Aircraft Paint Stripper. In comes in a rattle-can. Make sure you wear a mask and nitrile gloves! Also, don't use it on plastic!! You can get it at just about any automotive parts store.

[​IMG]

Plus, when you strip to bare metal you should use an Etching Primer as your first coat! :thumb:

6. Nova Kain

Nova Kain What's a Dremel?

Excellent advice, I made that mistake once...