1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geek1017, 22 Oct 2002.

1. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

I'm looking for an upgrade from my elcheapo brand midy tower. I just need suggestions.
    Hopefully some personal experiences rather than just "look at such and such's newest" kind of things.
    It will be a general PC used for just about everything and taken to LAN parties. My only other requirement is that it be watercooling friendly. I have many ideas for mods (mostly stolen from the good folks here of course:D ) but I really need a good case to start with. Again any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

whats your budget? if you can afford it then look at lian li and coolermaster cases otherwise you could look at the chieftec dragon series. :)

3. geek1017

My budget right now is $0
    How much I can spend is determined by how much I can save over the next few months.
    I'm on pause as it were with modding as I am currently studying abroad in Japan. I don't have my comp so I can't mod at all.
    I just want suggestions for when I get a chance to upgrade in a few months (well ok...more like 8 months)
    As a clarification I am basically looking for the "best" or "ultimate" case here. It needs to: be able to have self contained watercooling, have plenty of room for expansion in the future, and be portable (LAN parties)
    If the suggestion is a Lian li or Coolermaster then what model numbers? I know there are many models but please be a bit specific and hopefully use personal experience to suggest something. I'm not trying to take over Lazy's title here but my brain hurts with all of the options I have.
    I guess I just need to wait and see. I'll just buy something and mod it till I like it.

Feel free to use this thread as a place to debate which cases are better than others or to put links to your own projects.
    Close it if it is too stupid.

4. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Ive got a yeong yang server case that had watercooling bits in it mite be looking to get a ally case soon if you are interested m8 no rush to sell it.

Its got a window with Amd on it top 120mm blowhole and a 120mm intake blowhole,the only mods i had to do on it for watercooling was 4 screw holes on the floor,on the mobo side and some metal cut out of it so that i could take off the setup without takin it apart,its in mint nick.

5. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

why not build your own case?

simply buy a cheap & nasty donor case for the mother bvorad mountings & drive mountins, then you can make the case fit all your watercllong stuff in & not be big & bulk as you will have very little wasted space

plus what is cooler than a mod? your own custom case is what :D

6. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

if you want watercooling and space look at the lian li pc 70 or pc75 (same as the pc70 but is black)

if you want something portable then look at the lian li pc60 or pc7 (same as the pc60 with out a removable motherboard tray). They are many varients of the pc-60, some with lights and windows etc.

Also look at the coolermaster 201, 200 and if you can afford it look at the 101 or 110 (i think thats the right numbers)

if you want a portable case then i would stick with aluminium as it is lighter and also dissappates heat a lot better.

thats about it, let me know if you want any more info.

www.overclockers.co.uk - seem to stock most of the coolermaster cases

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/ - seem to stock most of the lian li cases :)

7. aCe2k

aCe2k What's a Dremel?

Maybe have a look at these cases..
    Not so common:

http://www.3rsystem.co.kr/

The have an sales office in US too.. but don't remember the url.

(I have one myself :D )

8. geek1017

thanks for the replies guys!

Lazy- The Lian li's would be really nice if they wern't so expensive.

b1g-d0g- I would be interested in the YY further down the line but unfortunately, when I'm done with my term in Japan I'll be in the US.

samuelellis- I think I'm going to borrow some ideas from the good folks here at bit and mod myself a briefcase PC for LANs. I also have an old P2 350 sitting around that might make a good entertainment PC when I get around to putting it into an old VCR or CD player case.

aCe2k- All I can say is wow. Which model do you have? I think I've seen these somewhere else under a different name. I like the built in thermal controls but I'd rather bosh them together myself and integrate with a good VFD.

9. banished

banished Necromodder

Hey, actually, I think what you need to do is make a case out of a tool chest (i'm sure your dad has one or two around), or maybe go buy one of the cheap Rubbermade cases. I'm sure you could find one with enough room for all your crap as well as the fact that it would have a built-in handle and would be relatively light. That's my 2 cents, and seeing as though I'll probably be helping you build it, I think it is a definite possibility.