1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Casebuild - 29TB gaming rig - 5th. gen - upd 3 apr 09 - Second waterloop installed!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by grevaeg, 17 Oct 2008.

1. grevaeg

grevaeg Insanity driven

Should be able to get some hardware in there within the next week some time =)

Though, waiting for the GPU waterblocks before i can get the watercooling up running. And thx for the positive comments guys, really appreciated ^^.

2. Ashaman

Ashaman M'hael

Gratulerer, igjen, dette er vel fortjent! ;)

Well, back to english:
    This enormus build has my vote for shore! Good luck in the competition!

3. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

That looks awesome. Could I ask which touch screen you're using?

4. grevaeg

grevaeg Insanity driven

takk ashaman :p

mooseguy: im currently using a Lilliput 10.4" FA1042-NP/C/T

and a small update....

All my leds arrived today! ^^

5. flare

flare What's a Dremel?

man what discount did EK give you if you dont mind me asking

6. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

massiv konstuksjon....

Where in the country do you live?
    need to know if I have to stay at a safe place when you power it up for the fist time,
    becouse that thing is going to measure on the richters scale when you start it up with 20TB of HDD's :p

7. nissanskyrice

nissanskyrice Terminally Lazy

Mini-IT
    have ide ones.

i managed to find a sata one @ an online store down here in Australia at this site http://www.bettercomputers.com.au/slim-atapi-50-pin-to-sata-adaptor-oem-p-848.html
    Not sure if they ship overseas but if you cant find one anywhere else I'm sure we could work something out.

Awesome work by the way. I have a similar idea but nowhere near the extend of this beast. will definately be checking back on this worklog again and again and again. :thumb:

8. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

9. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I think this project is amazing if a little excessive. I do however have a couple of concerns. The design is great other then it looks a bit top heavy and unstable. You've got a very tall thin tower there and then bolting it to a hollow base that raises the height by another couple of inches means you've got a lot of weight quite high. I'm just worried that it would be pretty easy to be knocked over if someone or something were to bump into it.

Secondly with all that weight resting on 4 tiny bit of aluminium there is going to be loads of pressure. So unless you put some form of rubber cap on the feet then the case is likely to scratch up any hard floor and possibly even rip carpet. Even with rubber caps there is still going to be loads of pressure.

10. pixelphantom

pixelphantom a salamander in a jar of jelly

:jawdrop: d00d massive build here, looks supersweet. Makes me and my comp feel way inferior :waah:

Can't wait to see how this one turns out. Would love to see a little video of the touchscreen in action when it's finally done.

Keep it up!

11. Ashaman

Ashaman M'hael

Wow, I just realised that if you are going to have 40 HDDs of 500Gb in the case, the HDDs would weight about 30 kilograms on their own. :D
    Why didn't you make the case in carbonfibre to make up for some that weight? Haha.

* (just joking, if somebody didn't get that) * :D

12. bradders2125

bradders2125 What's a Dremel?

With the amount of weight this will end up with, probably about 50kgs at least, by the time its finished it will probably be quite hard to knock over accidentally.

13. grevaeg

grevaeg Insanity driven

Got a decent 60% off from their waterblocks =)

Live in Oslo, and honestly, only about 8w for each disk :p so only adds up to 320ish w

Thx, and got the cables covered, arrived in mail today from DealExtreme

Thx for the effort though =)

Yea, will indeed be lotsa preasure on the feets, though... its made from 15mm aluminium, they can easily hold around 200kg each without breaking appart, and what kind of person pulls a 50-60kg case around on his floor? :p

But yea, gonna add rubber feet on it, just need to get someone that fits first

When it comes to weight and balance, it shouldnt be much of a problem, most of the weight comes from the disks, thats placed in front and in the lower part of the case, the top aint that heavy at all, and its like bradders2125 stated, the weight will keep it down =) and NO, not planning on placing the case in the middle of a large open room with a bunch of drunk people around from time to time ^^

haha. thx for the comments, and sure thing, ill get you a vid when its done =)

Not gonna be lifting this thing around myself if thats what you wonder :p

/signed

And another small update ^^

[​IMG]
    MIST - 2x120mm , ordered 2 of these today, will be placed in the open spaces in the back of the case, should help even out the temp a bit, hopefully get em tomorrow some time,

Got some time to work on the case this upcoming friday, should be a decent update then, will atleast get most of the hardware in place ^^

14. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

This thing. Dear God. All I can say is wow!!!

Def. sub'd

15. grevaeg

grevaeg Insanity driven

Hi all!,

One of those really large updates are finally coming along :p

Been working for 16 hours straight today on this project, so gotten a long way now...

Whats been done
    * Finalized water res
    * Allmost done with backplates
    * Mounted disks and some hardware
    * Soldered power circuits and LED's
    * Installed Windows on mITX

Whats left
    * Get the hoses and mount them up
    * Install waterblocks on GFX cards
    * Install new mobo
    * Install watercooling and water ress
    * Install fillport
    * Boot it up ^^.

The harddrive rack

Guess this will be the start of stuffing disks in this case =)

Had previously powder coated 4 perforated plates to deal with this one, the disks got tilted somewhat upwards to prevent heat to be trapped in between them... Still have to put down a placeholder in the front of them though, so they dont slide out when the case is being moved, might get some screws and just drill holes and mount them that way too, oh well... ill figure it out

Got about 32 disks in place now, just missing out on 4x 80GB SAS (15k rpm) drives now, and a additional 2x 1TB drives that havent yet arrived, totals out on 22TB when everything is in place, over a total of 40 disks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Added another 2 disks to the mITX board, 2x 500GB WD - One at the top.....

[​IMG]
    And one at the bottom :p

The water-ress

It was decided early on that i wanted a large tank up front of the case, however, its been a real pain getting this one made, afraid i didnt have a camera available at the buildprocess but ill try and shorten it down here....

First of all, cut off a few pieces of a large plexiblock i had available, then i milled up 4 holes for the water cylinders, and made a 3mm opening inside the block for the o-ring, that would seal them up...

A normal drill was used to get the water paths within the blocks and locked up by a m8 bolt with sealing tape on it in the end, to ensure it doesnt leak....

However, needed some way to get the water down there, since sideway mounting nipples wont happen :p drilled up two holes on the top and the bottom, centered up within the block to ensure even flow of the water... and nippled em up with o-rings at the bottom...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fixing up the backplate

Time to do something about the plain look of the backplates on the case =)

As you probably noticed, the other 2 radiators have also arrived, so needed some way to get em decent looking (still need fans and grills though) -.-

Started by measuring up the size of it, cut out a piece in cardboard to check out if it checked up... Went further on with measuring up the plexiglass, and got on with the cutting job.. Gotta love jigsaws.... the results doesnt allways turn out like you want them to... so will have to file down some edges on these soon, but have way to much stuff to do to sit down and do that now :p

So will be a furter update on this one later

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Snuck in some pics of the thoughpowers along with the two radiators mounted up :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soldering and LED's

God, this had been a time consuming affair...

Bought up 90x LED's - Blue, received them last week, and today, finally ready to start getting them up running, also had to do alot of cable soldering to power up the rest of the fans and leds on the case...

All the light's and some of the fans are directly connected to the 300w PSU for the mITX now

Anyways, guess u guys have decent insight in how this work's so ill let the pics speak for themselves =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hardware

Ah well, a small chapter for itself... Sadly my "old" Abit Quad GT had to be replaced since it werent to happy about running 2x sas controllers for some reason -.-

So ordered up another Asus P5Q premium, should get this one sometime next week

Heres some current pics though of some of the hardware going in there... god i hate full memory cards when ur taking pics -.- so got somewhat limited this time

Also.. the hoses and waterblocks from EK-Waterblocks should arrive the upcoming week! damn, im looking forward to those, starting to close in on completion, FINALLY

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The touch

Windows Vista Ultimate x86 - Installed!

Working flawless, need to get some holes for USB ports so it can be easily reached, and install the touch software for it, then its all good to go... And no... the pics aint taken upside down :p

Mounted the screen upside down so the buttons on it wouldnt show when you stand looking at it, its easily rotated in windows, so it was a better solution this time around, since the buttons are so far up on the screen it just wouldnt look good having them popping out, believe i had some wierd cam settings too, the screen is not that white... hmmz...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Nov 2008
  16. grevaeg

grevaeg Insanity driven

kk guys, done a update now =) text added, images sorted ,

Enjoy ^^

17. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

sweet! I think you should have featured those insane hardisk racks in some external way as the main feature of the case, they are too cool to be behind any panels!

18. Ashaman

Ashaman M'hael

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: This is insane! Just insane!

Guess I didn't imagine how extreme this is until now. (No wonder, since I've never seen that much HDDs at the same time, ever.)

That res looks awsome too, I hope you're going to make a video of it when it's running so we can see how it looks.
    Btw, are you going to have some color in the water, or just going for clean water?

19. camera man

camera man What's a Dremel?

why does the windows image look upside down???

20. bradders2125

bradders2125 What's a Dremel?

Heres you answer camera man. It is written before the pictures of the upside down screen.:read: