1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [CASELABS BH4] MILSPEC II-Final pics but moar pics to come!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by B NEGATIVE, 11 Jul 2016.

1. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Green. Yes,very.

[​IMG]

Got in there quick before it clouded over....now to start the airbrushing.

The new gun is bloody amazing,sips air and paint but covers so well the final lay is like glass. If I get a shuffle on then it could be cleared over by Monday. The acrylic has arrived for the res,once the chassis is clearcoated I can take the final panel depth for the clamshell res,it needs to be exact so as not to foul the res seals,to then start machining it.

Last edited: 28 Jul 2016
  2. B NEGATIVE

I couldnt resist putting the Caselabs build back together before clearcoating,it will help me get the airbrush stencils where I want them to be as I can visualize the layout much easier. Then strip down,airbrush then clearcoat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dat Green tho....

Its starting to all come together now,once the case is cleared over then the rest is plain sailing. Airbrushing,clearing,HDD/SSD's to fit then cable it all up. Then its res and the final tube up.

Hopefully this will all be done for I Series at the end of August!

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Kinda hurts the eyes. I don't remember you saying BRIGHT green.

4. B NEGATIVE

Yeah,it is a bit bright....

Mainly as I ran out of white paint to mix it with....

5. B NEGATIVE

A quick peek before I finish up scuffing the yellow with a scotch pad to soften the lines and give it a used feel.

First time with Inspire H20 airbrush paint....and my last,back to solvent for me,viscosity had to be just right and I just couldnt get it,resorted to airbrush flush as a thinner in the end.

[​IMG]

If the weather is good then clearcoating tomorrow.

6. B NEGATIVE

So,while im waiting for the skies to clear,I got on with making the res.

I did take video of the machine in action but as per usual left autofocus off so that was ruined.....but the res wasnt!

[​IMG]

The res has a rebate on the thick main body so its flush with the paint work,both end plates bolt thru

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First time acrylic machining,so easy...I love it...I dont love the clear up but machining it is fun!

Now I have to put a slight radius on the leading edge of the res front and go all in with lowfats polishing guideto make it glass clear,I have 2 types of oring here,nitrile and a white silicon cord so they need to be cut to size also.
    New bolts are on their way,not those nasty pan heads either,CSK and cups all round!

CMON WEATHER,GIMME A BREAK!!!!!

7. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

:thumb:

Yellow lines are nice even without the "used feel" :)

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

IMO I think because of the colour I would not make it look worn. I think that would have worked well on a military green but because you've ended up much brighter I would leave it. I just don't think a really bright green is going to look how you want it to worn.

I like the contrast between the green and the yellow though, and was just going to ask you about those bolts before you answered my question any way :D

9. Cheapskate

You can have my weather. I'm done with it. Your paint would dry before it hit the case.
    Glad you like cutting plexi. Get used to the fuzz, though. It gets everywhere. You totally need some bevel and rounding bits. They take a lot of torque and clamping, and sound like hell near the end of their cut, but will save you a lot of time.

10. B NEGATIVE

And the res is finished...except for more polishing obviously....

There is always more polishing with acrylic......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to get the rads and basically the whole ped plumbed in.

11. B NEGATIVE

I tried the distress method on the cover plate,it came out well but is so unnerving to do that I passed on doing the rest...Im on a deadline for I series and could do without having to repaint.

I have a few chamfer bits...sadly they have all been run thru Alu so are not fit for Acrylic..

Speed is the main draw for me,acrylic takes 1/4 of the time to machine than Alu,when I get round to my scratch (I will get around to it) the base design will almost certainly be made first in plexi.

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Don't get me wrong dude I really like the green ! I'm not usually a fan of military builds any way and prefer the bright green (I would I'm a 70's child who grew up in the 80s).

Let's face it, there probably won't be another build in this case as good as yours any way so I wouldn't worry too much. Unless of course Caselabs or some one specified military?

13. B NEGATIVE

[​IMG]

You thought I forgot with all the things going on right now....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Magoo thinks it was a job well done,he is having a well earned nap on possibly the dirtiest bean bag ever....

[​IMG]

Many thanks to:

ASUS UK

KLEVV and Essencore

My hombres at EK

Tom Logan at OC3D

And the guys at Caselabs! Hope you like it Jim!

Last edited: 17 Aug 2016
  14. saxovtsmike

saxovtsmike Minimodder

awsome work.
    The "ped" is a second bottom Shell of the case itself ?
    By any chance, do you have a shot of how you routed the tubing to the Radiators ?
    The front res should be tagged as NSFW, a watercooling setup won´t be possible with a normal res. How do you come up with Ideas like that ?

15. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

with "all" the light coming from the ram sticks, your gpu blocks are begging for somekind of glow effect... i know that it would look weird a criss croos of light in the case, but the dark void of the gpu blocks looks kind of weird too...

anyways, this is a well executed build - and that res is truly not safe for work
    - it almost looks like the case was intended to both feature the res and the ped as stock options!

16. B NEGATIVE

The outer shell of the ped is indeed the second clamshell.
    You could use a small res ,the problem lies in the rad placement primarily.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

I'm glad you like it,I love the stock sleeper look,the more 'factory' it looks,the better!

17. Cheapskate

It came out great. :D The only touch up I can recommend is a spot of green paint on the USB3 tabs. The way you ran the stripes from the bottom to the ped is a nice touch.

There's a ton of space for a tube res over the motherboard.

Posting your dirty beanbags online could have been far worse...

18. B NEGATIVE

Yeah,the USB tabs are annoying....so is the blue PWR button light.....

If you run a res over the mobo,where would you put the rad? It can only take a 240,the front mount will take a rad but you would have to rock small GPU's to fit it in.