1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Cases Bags Backpacks - Suggestions? Decision made and with more pics!

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by outlawaol, 21 Nov 2009.

1. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good backpack cases. Ones that have dual shoulder straps and a good solid waist strap. I've been somewhat frustrated with my current bag as it is just not easy to carry around or for that matter any distances.

I have no clue as to what could be a good feature(s) of a good solid backpack case. I have various accessories and three lenses and may want to carry a spare SLR if possible (but not necessary)

Thanks guys!

:)

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I've got a Tamrac Velocity 7 and I couldn't be happier with it. It's a sling type bag, but even with my camera and two lenses and filters and extra batteries it's comfortable for all day wear. I've climbed rocks with it, run, jumped and crawled with it and it stays where I put it and doesn't mess up my balance. The ability to swing it around to my chest for easy access without taking it off is super handy.

If you carry a lot of gear I recommend the larger Velocity 9, but I have yet to find a better all-around bag. :thumb:

3. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

I went with Lowepro Flipside 400AW. It suits me quite well and I'm quite a big fellow myself :hehe:

The only thing is that on longer trips I'd like to have even better "harness" system and a bigger bag for more gear. Maybe a Pro Trekker AW II will be my next backpack.

It really eats me that I didn't go with a backpack from the start. I had this Canon shoulderbag (even though I shoot Olympus :D), not a bad bag, but damn it's hard to carry and shoot with it at the same time. It always slipped from the shoulder etc. Not a bag for me that one.

It all depends on the way you shoot and what you're shooting really. I'm mostly a wildlife and nature photographer, so a backpack is a natural choice for me, but it might be something else if I didn't photograph mostly outside.

Darkened

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Are you looking for a semi hard case to carry equipment, that also has shoulder straps? or for a day pack that carries a camera?

You get to a certain point have have to decide which route to go. the casual day packs can really only hold so much before you are over burdened.

5. outlawaol

Thanks for the info guys, now I just have to look them up.

And yes, a semi hard would be good too. Having a bit of structure to a pack would be nice for protection and for keeping things where they need to stay. And I would prefer a full blown case, not a day case as I would be carrying it on my neck or in the backpack.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2009
  6. clumsy_culhane

clumsy_culhane Minimodder

I dont have enough gear to warrant a backback, but this weekend borrowed a 5D mkII, 135 f/2, 35 f/1.4 and 17-40, flash and a few other things, including a flipside 400AW. The bag is awesome. Has a nifty pullout raincoat that covers it up when/if it starts raining, and moveable insides to suit the shape of your gear.

7. Jumeira_Johnny

Take a look at ThinkTank. Their new rolling case looks to have shoulder straps (Airport Takeoff). The level of build is fantastic and the designs are well thought out.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2009
  8. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Adding to Clumsy_Culhanes message:

On top of that, I've never had to use the "raincoat". The bag keeps your equipment nice and dry even in light rain. It has to come pouring down before it starts to get the innards wet.

There's also the "sliplock" system, which allows you to add pouches etc. on the outside of the backpack.

It even has a tripod carrying pouch, but the bag itself is a bit too short (at least for my tripod) for carrying it well.

But as Jumeira_Johnny said, the ThinkTank cases seem really nice. I don't think anyone is representing them in Finland, so I haven't seen one in real life.

So at least ThinkTank and Lowepro have good choices, but you should also check out Kata and perhaps Tamrac.

Darkened

9. ssR

ssR Carbon God

10. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Hey ssR,

That Tenba backpack seemed to have great features built in it. I especially liked the tripod carrying system. How much did you pay for yours and what size did you go with?

Also the ending of the video was funny as hell, not the water throwing thing, but the song at the end. "Everybody loves those Tenba bags, Tenba bags :hehe:.

Darkened

11. ssR

ssR Carbon God

i paid for mine about 250$ but i'm pretty sure in US/europe you can get it cheaper
    i went with the medium sized one
    and yeah that movie ending is pretty funny, even though kinda ruining the professional feeling you get from the movie till that point :D

12. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

I doubt that I could get it cheaper (at least from Finland). I may have to start checking out places to buy them once I get some more money (just ordered the Zuiko 50-200mm lens and a Skyport system :hehe:).

And yes, the movie seemed to be very professional until that last bit, but it's good to know someone still has fun making this stuff. It didn't lower its value in my eyes at least, on the contrary.

And if I recall right, ThinkTank also seems to appreciate humor. I don't know if they do so much in their advertising, but I've seen a video from a photography exhibition where they had the most eccentric guy you'll ever see showing off their products :D I think it can be found from Youtube still...

Darkened

13. Jumeira_Johnny

That's because they use actual photographers to market their products.

14. outlawaol

Alright guys, I went with the Lowepro 400AW. Thanks to ebay I got it cheaper then anywhere else on the web, woot!

I dont have it yet but I am feeling good about it so far.

Thanks for the input once again! :) Will have to throw a picture up once I get it.

15. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

I bet you'll be happy with your choice.

If I understood right, you went with the Flipside 400AW? Don't know if there's some other Lowepro backpack which has the 400AW in it.

If you did, there's the added bonus of not having to worry about your gear if you do street photography or generally hang around where there's a lot of people.

I don't keep anything worth stealing in the "front" compartment. All my gear is against my back, so if someone wants to steal it, they'll have to go in for a good grope or take me with the rest of the gear :hehe:

Darkened

16. outlawaol

Yea, its the flipside. And yes, that was one of the reasons too that I liked it. The fact that getting to anything of real value would require me to remove it. I'll happily keep thieves at bay! :D

17. outlawaol

I got it today! Woot! I am very happy with this backpack. It feels solid and holds all my crap. Here are some pictures! :D

I have to sport it, granted I am not the greatest model by any stretch of the imagination! :D
    [​IMG]

Guts, my 40D sits in that there open space nicely
    [​IMG]

And it holds my Rebel XT without issue on the bottom.
    [​IMG]

:D

18. Vers

Vers ...

Saaaaaweet shower curtain :hehe:

19. outlawaol

lol :D

Its the only way to escape to a beach without actually having to go there! :hehe:

20. Vers

Vers ...

:hehe: anything to escape the cold--speaking of, hows the weather right about now :brrr: