1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cash machine pays out double!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Shuriken, 16 Sep 2004.

1. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

EVERYONE!!

Last saturday i used the cash machine on the side of the shell garage at countess services near stone henge, and it gave me double, and did the same for my girlfriend!
    We've tried to contact the company (moneybox ATM) but its not possible! the only person we've told was a member of staff at the garage and they probably kept it a secret, its probly still doing it.

just thought i'd let you all know :thumb:

2. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

You are one very lucky person... you could maybe take out all your money :lol:
    but I'm sure you might get into trouble for that.

3. Shuriken

i didn't because it would have been steeling, (though for a second i was tempted :worried: ) the reason i'm posting this is im sure poeple wont be able to resist and once word spreads the company can fix it. or just lose lots of money.

4. calnen

calnen moo!!

it'll be fixed by now, surely?

5. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

hmm.. just a thought, did it take out double the money from your account? or just deduct the proper amount, and spit out two 20s for a 20 sort of thing?

6. Shuriken

i asked for £40, it gave me £80, i checked my balance, only £40 gone! my girlfriend asked for £30, it gave her £60 as 3 20's so not a mechanical error, but a computing error. and if no one knows, it wont have been fixed. :D

7. iggy

iggy Active Member

dont suppose you fancy posting direction to this wonderful thing on multimap?

:d

8. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I heard this happening before where the person who filled the machine put 10s and the 20s in the wrong place. But this doesn't seem to be the case in your case. If you ask for £30, the machine could give you either 3 £10s or 1 £20 and 1 £10. But if you ask for £40, the machine is sure to give you 2 £20s. Pretty strange... must be updated ATM software or something.

9. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

I saw a tv program (possibly the money prog) with setups like deliberatly over changing people (by £10 and £20) to see how honest they were. One of the things they did was rig a cash machine to pay out double. Useless story there.

Col

10. Simply Divine

Simply Divine New Member

Yeah i've heard of this b4, i think in my experience the 10's and 20's box were filled up the wrong way round. So anyone who asked for a tenner got 20 and vice versa. But it ISN'T stealing. Its legally considered the same as a cashier accidentally giving you too much change. So the person working with the cash till (or in this case fillled the ATM) can get into bother (and perhaps loose their job) but you are by no means legally obligated to give the money back. Ethically its questionable but if u've got an easy conscience then there isn't anything stopping you. I saw an article in some newspaper about an ATM doin somethin like this and the bank lost over a grands worth from ppl withdrawing money and getting too much. All the bank could do was ask nicely that anyone who got too much cash returned it.

11. barry_n

barry_n New Member

those set up shows are fakes, if ure on camera they cant air it on tv without u signing a release from, and i find it hard to believe anybody wanting to publicly humiliate themselves.

12. apollyon

apollyon New Member

sorry to kill your hopes, but something similar to this happened to a friend of mine once. The 10s and 20s were put backwards so he was given 20 bucks when he only asked for a 10. He was all happy for a few days, until he checked his account balance and they had deducted the extra ten bucks. So more then likely as soon as they realize what has happened (if no one reports it probably the next time they come to refill the ATM) they will simply pull the log of transactions from that particular ATM and update the accounts. If you wanted to fight it you probably could with a decent legal footing, but for the kind of cash your talking about a lawyer probably wouldn't be the best idea :D

13. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

arg, that sucks why can't cash machines do that here.

14. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Its amazing what people will do to get on TV.

15. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

Yes but your american, the thread starter is english so that might not happen here, it was in the paper when it happened last time, and they didnt take the money out of there accounts, as that could overdraw people etc causing charges, and the fact that its there mistake so its there fault...

- M@

16. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift New Member

actually I believe deducting from your account without your permission (IE the realized the ATM was making a mistake) is wrong in CAN, US and UK. I mean nobody is realy going to complain if either happens, I know - unless it was an exorbitant amount - that I wouldnt.

Basically the bank HAS to suck it up, I mean they make several BILLION dollars a year they can absorb a few thousand. And it would have been fixed the next day, the logs would only record that half of the money should have gone, but all of it would be it wont take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Simiar thing, a Gas pump in my city was malfunctioning, giving out almost morre than triple, almost like it would count one litre but miss the next three, so I filled my mums van for $18, usually it would be almost $75 - gas station has to suck it up (the pump is the one that they deem as correct...)

17. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom New Member

I wouldn't think that they could take cash from your account, unless they have proof that it gave out double to you specifically. Not just over the time range. On the other hand, withdraw £150 and when it gives you £300 deposit the £300 in the bank, if the take from your account the extra, no skin off your back, if they don't, free ram upgrade.

18. Froggy

Froggy New Member

It must of downloaded ATM SP2 :p

19. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

20. dire_wolf

dire_wolf Last Of The Dovakhiin

Incidentaly, I couldn't get any money out of the bank last thursday, literally EVERY atm in town had a BSOD showing on the screen, lol, thats what they get for basing them on XP :clap: