1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Casual gamers don't care about bad reviews

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Dec 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Dec 2007
  2. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I wish all casual games were free, not because I want them (couldn't be bothered with most) but because it'd prevent these 'casual gamers' from influencing the direction and aims of the big companies with their consumer-money.

The market is already watered-down with enough half-arsed dross as it is, a shift in priorities will only make that worse and discourage publishers further still from funding innovative, intelligent hardcore-gaming experiences (like System Shock 2) for those of us who see gaming as a serious hobby and something with artistic merit.

(I swear I'll mention that game at least once in every rant about the state of the games market. :p)

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

True, but thats why I love ye! ;)

4. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

This is truth.
    I think we as PC gamers are going to end up relying on more and more indie developers to give us some sort of credible gaming experience, since the industry is getting more and more preoccupied with sales figures and 'target markets', as in ignore 'hardcore' gamers for 'casual' gamers buy games which are cheaper and easier to produce

5. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

I can't say that I'm a hardcore gamer, but I'm not casual either. I do enjoy reading reviews about games that I think I might enjoy playing, like bioshock, assassins creed, etc..... which are amazing games!

But when it come to my annual purchase of a football game, it's either FIFA or Pro Evo, that's never based on reviews I always try before I buy.

Reviews are more important to games that have not established themselves. Franchises are more of the same with extra bits added on, and so reviews are less important, it more about the costumers preference, if you use my FIFA and Pro Evo example.

6. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Aww shucks! :blush:

7. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

Agree wholeheartedly.

If Peggle hadn't came out, Crysis would have been loads better!

Aggies

8. 8igdave

8igdave Counting down the days to November!

the link goes to a differnt story for me...

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

QFT. Look at Darwinia for an example, and the history of Portal. And has anyone here played Platypus? That **** is fantastic. Beats F.E.A.R. for enjoyment value any day.

10. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

maybe its because most casual gamers dont know what IGN or 1up is...

11. wolff000

wolff000 I am here to steal your secrets.

I read reviews on sites i trust but that doesn't keep me from playing a game myself. People have different tastes and just because a reviewer I usually agree with doesn't like it doesn't automatically mean I won't like it. That's why I love renting games so I can at least try before I buy, for my console games anyway. I wish you could do that with pc games as well. I know it wouldn't work for pc games because of piracy but it would be nice.

12. salesman

salesman Minimodder

I agree completely. ive also found that pulling out old classics like morrowind (god that only came out less than a decade ago) and popping it in for a whirl quite satisfying, which sounds like an analogy to an audiophile talking about how much better vinyls are to cds. So i guess i could be that guy, if i don't accept where the gaming market is shifting, but then again if its about the money all i have to do to change the market is reach into my pocket pull out my plastic and play hard to get... not hard to do with great games like morrowind out there already.

13. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

You mean they just fall for the flashy tv adverts, i'd say that was stupidity.

14. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

most people are stupid

Tags: Add Tags