Catalonia and regional self-determination

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Risky, 2 Oct 2017.

1. Risky

Risky Well-Known Member

Um, I'd say it would be entirely their fault, really. Exactly what sort of Brexit would excuse armed conflict? Does this go further? Would it be sort of justifiable if a terrorist wing of the Lib Dems was formed?

(NB, some humour may have been intended in the last suggestion)

2. Risky

Risky Well-Known Member

And which of our political parties are willing to tell their voters this?

3. Nexxo

Nexxo Bargaining chip

I said it would be the result. I didn't talk about fault.

If you read the Daily Wail or The Excess, then the Lib Dem are terrorists. And traitors. And enemies of the people.

I'm not following you, sorry.

4. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Again with trying to introduce paradigm shifting ideas...

Look at what happened with other paradigm shifting ideas like for example when farming was invented:

Sure, today we take agriculture for granted and we by and large accept it as a good thing that allowed increased population density which in return allowed for the pooling of knowledge which enabled science, medicine, technology and so on.

But look at it from the perspective of a hunter-gatherer society:
    Agriculture was an unmitigated disaster that completely destroyed their culture, religion and way of life.
    Of course back then they had no idea that agriculture would lead to an explosion of population size, enable the existence of cities (that until the 17th - 18th century where pretty much killing machines due to rampant disease), which in turn enabled the exploitation of resources and the 3rd world, introduced monarchies, enabled the industrial revolution that in return resulted in climate change and so on.
    But since they lacked the ability to see a single one of the downsides coming they forged ahead with the whole agriculture thing regardless.

Now imagine current humanity as the hunter-gatherer society that has at least some limited capacity to see the downsides of any other paradigm shift and you'll see why the idea of introducing one simply won't fly.