1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding CCFL brightness

Discussion in 'Modding' started by wedgius, 28 Jan 2003.

1. wedgius

wedgius What's a Dremel?

How bright (in CD/MCD) would you all say the average cold cathode is? I have an idea for my case lighting, and I'd like to use LEDs in place of CCFLs for safety and ease.

(Specifically, the idea involves phototransistors and a fading effect. :))

2. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

i dont think u can measure a ccfl in mcds, but usually the higher the voltage of the ccfl the brighter it is (to my findings anyhow)
    a have 2k, 4k, and 6k DCV cathodes the more voltage they are the brighter they are.

3. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

They are very bright compared to LEDs

They provide floodlighting, not spotlighting. Also, can't you make them fade? I'm sure Macroman did this?

4. wedgius

wedgius What's a Dremel?

I was planning to stick them (probably 9000mcd white Nichias) near/inside a diffused acrylic rod wrapped in blue cellophane or the like.

Yeah (just looked for the article), but I've heard and assumed that doing that to a CCFL might be a bit iffy in terms of safety.

I'm just throwing around ideas, since I don't have a case or Dremel yet to get started on anything useful.

5. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

What?? Most CCFL's run at a maximum of 800V for 12" ones. Only neon tubes work at those voltages.

6. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

You sure about that, I'm sure they ran at more than that

Well, I will say this, if you are lighting up the acrylic bars to make them into key points of the case, IE mounted at the front, or something like that, then LEDs are what you want

However, if you are doing that simply to light up your case, then get a cold cathode, and use the LEDs for something else :)