1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V CCTV/home security advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ModSquid, 16 Oct 2021.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Evening all! And a polite tip of the hat.

Since Virgin fookayed our existing kit upon installing their sub-par internet service, I need to replace some bits of the above so might as well bring it forward technologically at the same time. I have no idea what the current system is made up of as I can't see obvious branding, nor what connections it has, but the base unit is an LG with what I think are similar leads to Sky boxes ie. co-ax with screw surrounds at the plug.

Costco have this unit and this one, but this is by no means my area so was hoping for some advice as to a good replacement. Needs to operate at night and there are six cameras to replace, not the sticky-out from wall types, more like flush half-domes. Would like a 2-3 week recording capacity too, ideally.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Can you rip and replace all of the cable runs? The ones you linked are POE, and sounds like you'll want coax cameras to use existing cabling. You can still have a modern system with coax cameras, you just need to get a smart/connected DVR.

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ah, no - not easily at least. I would prefer to lift and drop a new box in at a minimum, with the cameras after that. My skill in this area is limited - if it's just a case of unscrewing and then reconnecting one camera in place of another, I'd probably be able to cope, but the wiring does also run down the garden. I'd need to check how it's buried if that is the case.

Would you happen to know a decent example of smart DVR?

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'm afraid my experience with CCTV starts and ends with network cameras and recorders.

But Hikvision is always a good choice for both cameras and DVRs - and definitely do coax kit as well as IP - don't have any suggestions as to particulars but the brand would be a good place to start.

5. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I like my Hikvision into my Synology NAS. Can store loads across two cameras and easy to use.

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Cheers both - appreciated. I'll have a look at their site and see if I can come up with something, maybe if I stick a link up you could cast a quick eye and see if anything obviously unsuitable jumps out?

:thumb:

7. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

I bought a reolink camera from amazon, 8mp one, bought a tp link poe, injector, hooked it up to my virign hub via ethernet, i use the app mainly, but my pc is set to record 24/7, been easy enough to use and works for accessing outside the house as well :)

8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Interesting! I'd be more keen to use outdoors of course, will check for wi-fi version. Cheers!:thumb: