1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster cds dont like spinning fast.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by modz-a-lot, 3 Jun 2004.

1. modz-a-lot

modz-a-lot What's a Dremel?

well, a few days ago, my friend told me about a episode of mythbusters where they tried to figure out if a cd could really shatter inside a cd drive. too bad, i missed the episode :duh: well, being the clever kid that i am, i decided to test it out. i first hooked up the cd spinner thingy from an old cd drive to a small fan motor. nope, cd intact. not even close to breaking. wanting to get a little more speed, i hooked up the spinner thing to a 4 hp vacuum motor. well, i ran an extension cord out of the room, not wanting to get hurt, and plugged it into an outlet. i could hear it spinning up. so i left it in. after 5 seconds, i thought it was at max speed. 5 more seconds later, i started hearing this high pitched squealing sound, then 2 seconds after that "BOOM!" it scared the CRAP out of me. below you can see what happened
    [​IMG]
    the remains of the cd, and the motor sitting in the clamp

[​IMG]
    here you can see that exploded cd shards ripped through a paper target on the wall

[​IMG]
    cd sharts projected into the door

[​IMG]
    uh oh, my parents are going to flip a ****. broken glass on the picture frame!!! notice the red piece of cd projected into the pegboard.

[​IMG]
    more evidence of flying cd pieces

[​IMG]
    the remains of the cd (or at least the ones that i picked up...they were scattered as far as 20ft. away!)

in conclusion, a cd will not break under normal conditions, unless it is precracked or badly warped. do not try this unless your outside, or if you dont care about pictures, walls, doors, or in my case, the electronic studfinder that took most of the force. the whole side of it was blasted off! i'll try to get a pic of that later

Last edited: 3 Jun 2004
  2. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

Wild, I love it :rock:

Cheers,
    Mike

3. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

hope you dont get a huge spankin from ya parants :rolleyes:

4. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

I too have done this. Except I wedged the cd onto a sanding wheel for my dremel. Got it up to about 30,000RPM before it exploded. Shards of the CD embedded them selves almost 1" into the drywall and ceiling. Not to mention poking up through the carpet. I have pictures of the aftermath, after I find them I'll post them.

5. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

:eeek: scary
    well i'm sure as hell i won't ever try this one inside the house :D

6. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

I so have to do this. We should start a competition, see who can get cd shards the deepest into different materials. Rock on man!! :rock:

7. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Different materials, like in yourself? :hehe:

8. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Only if you volunteer too! :D

9. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Frisbee CDs are fun too, Specially if you get some speed and nice straight on crash with a wall, watch them explode on impact :)

Proph.

Edit > And if your after more fun things to dow tih CDs, microwaves are great. High power, not to long, watch the sparks and then check out the pretty patter. I made a lil collage on my wall once of a whole load i did, Never come out the same and look pretty with light reflecting off them :)

10. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

*pulls old 52x Cd drive and batteries from under bed*

right i'm off.if i don't report back in a bit i'm dead or asleep

11. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

I think the trick is to mount them vertically rather than horizontally. But Im not crazy enough to try this :D

12. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

I had once witnessed a CD exploding in a drive, it turns out that the PLL in the drive failed so the motor just revved up as fast as it can go.
    All the pieces were contained in the drive.

13. modz-a-lot

modz-a-lot What's a Dremel?

i find it hard to believe that any motor the size of a typal cd-drive motor can spin a cd fast enough to shatter it. when a cd truely shatters because of speed, its because of the outward pull (centripetal force) of the cd on itself. i think for a cd to shatter in a cd drive, it would have to be precracked or badly warped/off balance. i'm going to do this more outside, the exploding noise is soooo cool!

by the way, the cd kept spinning on the thing so i cheated by using some super glue, if anything, this just helped it spin faster before it exploded. just a warning, if these things can get projected through pegboard, and pushed .5 inches into solid wood, they will easily break skin. do not be closer than 40 feet when doing this (being in another room is even better) good luck!

14. darkhunter

darkhunter What's a Dremel?

very stupid idea for me i treid that with my dremel and lets just say it ****ing hurt when it wnet into my arm oh well thats what you get for being as dumb as me and it will heel soon i hope

15. ratty

ratty What's a Dremel?

u've found something to do with all the aol cd's :D

16. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

17. Twunka

Twunka What's a Dremel?

did u guys hear about the guys who collected about 15000 aol CD's and sent them back one at a time in different sized envelopes lol it was funny as hell

18. Carbon

Carbon Banned

lmao! serves AOL right!

19. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

somone should take a high rpm motor, like the ones out of vacums, or dustbuster, then gear it to go faster.

Or perhaps, hook it up to a gas or nitro fuel engine

if someone has access to liquid nitrogen, freeze a hd platter and see if it will explode from centrifical force.

20. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

That guy must have spent a fortune on postage.