1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits CeBIT 2010 - Fermi, spider cases and more

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 5 Mar 2010.

1. Scootiep

Scootiep Member

/sigh, Ok, yes, I meant eke. Sometimes my brain moves faster than my fingers. I should also state that I have absolutely against nVidia cards. I'll re-iterate what I said over on the Maximum PC boards. Of my last 6 video cards, I have had the following FX5200, 2x6800 XT's, X1900 GT, 8600 GT, 8800 GTX, ATI 5770 (4 to 2 in favor of nVidia counting the 2 6800 XT's in SLI as a single card purchase). I'm really hoping that this latest round smacks nVidia around enough to wake them up and make them realize that if they are going to charge an exorbitantly premium price, they have to justify it with a FAR superior product. Not these nickle and dime performance improvements (compared to ATI or their previous products) they've done for the past 4 years (Sorry nVidia fans, but Physx simply isn't worth an extra $100 - 200 depending on the card). I will gladly buy an nVidia card again, but not until they earn my business back.

As far as getting together with ATI, I highly doubt that will ever happen. The companies are polar opposites in too many ways and there's a lot of bad blood. Besides, in general, competition is far better for innovation in the corporate world. Now if they were competing open-source communities, then yes I think there would be much more to gain by them coming together.

P.S: It's Nvidia HAS the gpgpu lead even now., not "Nvidia have the gpgpu lead even now".

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Regarding the Nvidia stuff, here's my take on the rumormill.

Charlie is right about the problems Fermi has faced. The very large die combined with engineering challanges have left them without the product they wanted with yield a far cry from where it needs to be to be a truly profitable product. But TSMC has produced nearly 10,000 wafers for the 470 and 480; they're bound to get a few thousand fully functional chips for a GT480, even if only a single digit percentile of them function as such.

They will have the 480 available at launch, but will it be available afterwards? All signs point to there being no more cards after the initial lineup burns out, with about 6,500 (+/-1,500) GT480s worldwide. The 470 is likely not to continue beyond its initial production run either. To get the yields on this chip to an acceptable level, Nvidia probably needs to re-engineer the chip at the lowest level to compensate for the issues present in TSMC's 40nm process. The problem is, by the time this is completed, the rest of the world will be moving on to 28nm.

There's not really much hope for the 40nm generation of Fermi, so we'll probably have to wait for the next generation to see Nvidia release a high end product that is competitive with the 5XXX/6XXX family of Radeon cards in more than a few benchmarks and GPU-compute applications. The 5870 has substantially better yields than the GT470 and GT480, and there's no getting around that any time soon. Even if Fermi turns out to be superior to the 5870 (early benchmarks are indicating it is not), Nvidia is unlikely to be able to ship enough product to satisfy high end demand.

With 7 months already behind them, ATI is essentially the winner by default in this generation. By the end of the year, their Northern Islands refresh will be out the door. If things are as bad as they look for Fermi, Nvidia won't have an answer for that product either, for at least several months.

3. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. New Member

I can't wait till March 26th when Nvidia reveals Fermi and we get some real benchmark scores from an "un-biased" source. If Fermi proves to be better than so be it. I just want the price of Hd 5870 and the Hd 5850 to drop so I can upgrade. ATi has a great product at a better price when faced with competition of course. Remember two HD 4890 @ 1 ghz for $400 total beat a $500 295 gtx in every game except for non optimized Crysis.

4. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

lol - charlie is right - yes we love the guy as much as patcher but realy....

look if fermi knocks up min fps 20% then thats a 50% price increase well spent.. .deminishing returns etc...

5. Slink

Slink B7

dude i would sell a kidney for one of those PC-Q07

6. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

refreshing newegg all night on the 23rd getting ready to smack the buy button

[​IMG]

hahahah

ok that was out of control.. but you know it's going to happen

7. xQlusive

xQlusive German Hardstyle Addict :)

Hey, I a german Hardwarejournalist told me they have produced 5k pcbs for the Asus Mars, and restart production if it runs out.

anyone else heared that ;) ?

8. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I would be gobsmacked if that is true, I think they will stick to 1000 units.

9. Showerhead

Showerhead New Member

Just had a thought what would happen if you tried to run that MARS card on a 32-bit OS?

10. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Question is; will it run Crysis?

Tags: Add Tags