1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Centre for Computing History seeks cash for Jupiter auction

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 May 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Retro_Gamer

Retro_Gamer Minimodder

I have never managed to get down there for the day with being up in the North East, think I need to rectify this in the next year or so.

I really hope they manage to raise the funds for this, it may not be as iconic as the Spectrum or C64 from the 80's but it does deserve a place in the museum.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not that it probably matters, but following the link from the eBay auction to the about us page says...
    "the currently trading Boldfield Computing has no knowledge or connection at all to the Jupiter ACE project"

I originally wanted to know if the people selling it needed the money, or the likelihood of it coming up for sale again at a lower price if they didn't get the asking price.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's 'cos the original directors aren't part of Boldfield Computing anymore - which I might not have made clear in the article. The auction is being run by the original directors, who were directly involved in the Jupiter Ace. From your link: "[...] including the Jupiter ACE assets, were transferred to the directors personally at a pre-sale stage in 2005."

I've edited the piece a bit to make that clearer!

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry for being a wee bit dense then :blush:
    Does that mean the money would go to Steve Vickers and Richard Altwasser ? I only ask as I'm wondering what the likelihood of it coming up for sale again at a lower price if doesn't sell.

6. Gareth Halfacree

As far as I'm aware, no. Vickers and Altwasser founded Jupiter Cantab, which went bust in 1983 when nobody bought the Ace; the company was bought by Boldfield in February the next year. The Jupiter Cantab assets currently belong to the original directors of Boldfield, now known as either Cambridge House UK Limited or Boldfield Limited depending on which company registry you're querying. Its current directors are listed as Paul and Claire Downham, and given the "Contact Us" email address on the site starts "pauld@" I'm guessing they're the ones making the sale.
    I would imagine there's a very good chance; they're not going to want to scrap it if it doesn't sell at £10K when there's a chance they could walk away with £5K. The question, of course, is: will anyone make the minimum bid in the next four days?

Last edited: 14 May 2014
  7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Thanks for clarifying things :thumb:
    So are you going to make a bid Gareth ? We all know you would love to add to your vintage computer collection :D

8. Gareth Halfacree

A: How much do you think I get paid, and 2: I'm planning to do the opposite when I get a chance. I miss having a floor in the office - never mind work surfaces...

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well sorry if it didn't come across that i was joking, I guess it's best if i don't try entering into a little light hearted banter in the future unless I'm certain it will be taken as such.
    Sorry :worried:

10. Gareth Halfacree

Oh, the irony: I understood it was a joke, and was attempting some light-hearted banter of my own. Damn text-based communication! (Seriously, though: I really need to set some time aside to sort out this office. It's absolutely chocka.)

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Opps, yea i guess text-based communication isn't great :)
    There is always the loft, that is if you have one and it isn't already full of bit's 'n' bobs.
    Or get a man cave, aka a shed :D

12. Retro_Gamer

Retro_Gamer Minimodder

Most of my stuff is setup in the converted loft, there are also 3 machines in the bedroom and another coming in July, think the July machine is going on the TV in the front room or find a space in the bedroom!!