1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware CES 2008: Understanding industry trends

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 14 Jan 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. dom_

dom_ --->

I see no booth babes :(

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I was thinking that as well.

Did anyone think to ask the guys at RiData about the cost of SSDs and when we're likely to see an affordable 3.5" drive for mainstream desktops?

4. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Agreed.

Also, maybe for next year, you guys could put a compettion for one of us Fourm Members to Join you guys at CES 09, what cool ideas i come up with:D

Sam

5. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Sorry about the no booth babe pics guys :) I know, breaks your heart. If it makes you feel any better, though, there weren't too many!

As for taking someone, unfortunately that's really not possible because of how the show is structured. Particularly to be counted as a press member, you have to illustrate at least two published writings relevant to your field within the last 6 months.

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

That counts me in ;)

7. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

Thanks for the review. I feel comfortable with the direction hardware is starting to take. I'm not big on portability myself, the only data I move around on a regular basis is my music, all ripped from my own cds. So as far as portability is concerned, the only trend I really care about is the price and process-shrinking of flash. I look forward to affordable 64GB+ flash drives so I can carry most of my music where I want; usb connectivity (or perhaps bluetooth) integration is thankfully increasing and I think by the time flash prices come down, I won't have any problem playing my music everywhere.

My main focus in computers is on entertainment, gaming, music, and video. Microsoft is doing a good job of trying to make moving content around easier, but the biggest problem still, is getting content. Specifically HD content. Progress in this area is agonizingly slow, largely due to "fears" of piracy it seems. Content providers are desperate to lock down everything, but they are losing money in the time-being. I did get at least two pieces of good news this year though. One is that Bluray seems to be pulling ahead even more. I never cared about either side, I just want HD movies, and this format war has slowed adoption and kept prices high. A win for either side is a win for everyone, with a standard comes mass adoption and lower prices. Second, DirecTV showed off a usb pc dual-tuner for satellite content. If this allows full access to all HD channels, with dvr capability, this is a huge step forward for getting content to the pc, even if it uses MS drm. I will be watching Bluray and DirecTV over the year to see where this heads, but it looks like this may finally be the year for HTPC enthusiasts, and for all HD enthusiasts. Now, if we could just get drm-free dvd-audio quality music to download, the A/Vphile will live happily ever after.

8. THRASHER2

THRASHER2 Pimpin' Deals 24/7

They were in the Car Audio part of the Show ;)
    [​IMG]

9. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

^ Childish, but oh so much fun :D ^

11. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

12. Snort123

Snort123 What's a Dremel?

Power Monkey? IMO The Devotec Power Brick is higher spec'd and half the price.

Snort

13. sl1xx

sl1xx What's a Dremel?

i was thinking the same thing lol....wheres the babes man !

14. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Err, not quite... it lacks just about everything that the PowerMonkey stands for. :) Powertraveller bothered to put in under/over voltage protection, obtained Apple certification for all its products (very, VERY hard to do), uses all green battery supplies, weighs less, is waterproof and can be charged via solar, mains and a variety of other methods. And that charge stays for a year, not three months.

Hence why it caught my eye - it's the first of its kind to do more than just tote around a bit of battery. It's actually green, renewable power that's functional.

And trust me, you think YOU guys miss the booth babes? :p Imagine running around a show floor with 140,000 sweaty geeks and nary a female in sight :p. Now THAT is an industry trend I wish was not happening.

Tags: Add Tags