1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Championship Manager 2010 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

didnt read the whole article but it would seem to me that these games do not have the charm they once had

back in the days of champ man 2 it was a case of setting training schedules buying players altering the formation set a captain and away you go

now there is just too much to do for it to be enjoyable

now some guys will love the depth availible

i just think the market is crying out for something simpler

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Football manager Cheesecake.

4. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I must admit, picking up my FM game felt much more intuitive and enjoyable. I tried to go into the review with an open mind though - it's just Champ Man isn't as much of a well rounded game as FM - I need to be able to bollock my players for getting sent off or tell rival managers they're n00bs - that's half the point!

5. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Gt this for 1 pence on there pre release thing it's decent at that price

6. ashikamlani

ashikamlani New Member

AFAIK they've stopped that now. Was a great deal while it lasted...

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Fifa Manager and Football Manager are still far superior.

8. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I paid the princely sum of £7.51 (inc the Live update coming later)... so it cant really go wrong. I agree with some of what Harry says, I think he over-states the case in many cases and he complains about features aren't necessarily available in CMs competitors.

However, there are plenty of things he missed:

- How can you tell if a player has an issue? By checking on their status tab, but there is nothing that prompts you to do this.
    - The options to respond to the players issue are usually too few and too simplistic
    - There is plenty of screen real estate that could be used for extra tabs/menus - I find it annoying to have to do several clicks where one should be sufficient.
    - in games, some the gameplay scenarios are bizarre and goal-mouth scenarios are limited:
    -- in some cases your player will head from the half way line
    -- there is a propensity to lob the keeper, which almost always fails - in a complete season, I had Ryan Babel lob Van der Sar once.
    -- there are no by-line cut-backs AT ALL - there isn't enough of a variation in attacks
    -- players are frequently carded for diving - it would be refreshing in real life, but as it is it is conspicuously unrealistic
    -- the scouting is annoying - you have the option of not scouting, but if you do, you get overwhelmed by suggestions
    -- it seems every time I bid for a player, his club immediately issue them with a new 5 year contract! It happens, but not that often.

That said, my overall opinion of the game is significantly positive. I've played one full season and it was very enjoyable. Perhaps I got lucky, but having won the Carling Cup and the EPL, I must be doing something right. I played the same game 3 or 4 years ago and having lost every game for two months - not matter what I tried I couldn't coax my team into action.

I'd say it's easily a 7/10. I'll certainly cast an eye at FM2010, and will consider a purchase if it's pretty good. But I'm long since done with the FIFA games (and anything else franchised by EA).
    -- but conversely, there is no

9. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

Football Manager is still, undoubtedly the way to go then. I bet Eidos are kicking themselves still for letting SI go.

10. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I think I touched on a few of these - the fact that player info is spaced out over several tabs, the large amount of screen real estate un-used etc.

I played half a season as Bristol City for the review and did ok by xmas after a shakey start, but that was enough for me, and I didn't have much drive for me to finish the season.

11. Hovis

Hovis New Member

Football Manager is the way to go because of the personalities and stuff. Half the game is winning the trophies, half the game is getting rival managers sacked and collapsing the team spirit of the opponent before a big game.

12. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

stick with SI, they made old CM great and now they make FM great - shame that they couldn't take the title with them...they got the engine and database though, thats what mattered

13. damienVC

damienVC New Member

I got this for 2 quid on pre-release, which is about right I reckon. Have yet to guide Norwich City to win anything though - a case of life imitating art I think...!

Tags: Add Tags