1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Charger not working properly?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by terrorbyt, 18 Nov 2012.

1. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Hey guys I recently bought a Novatech nFinity N1412 ultrabook and for some reason it takes ages for the charger to charge the laptop's battery up. It shouldn't really take more than 2.5 hours but it takes around 5 or 6 hours to fully charge from 0%.

I'm no expert, but I've come to the conclusion that either the charger is faulty OR it's just because it's new, and will improve with time.. I've tried different power sockets throughout the house but to no avail. The battery life is very good, and I have no issue with that - it just takes an age to charge it!

I have put Windows 8 Pro on the system if that makes any difference. My Intel SSD also has around 25GB missing from it which I've heard is due to hibernation and backup partitions. Any tips for properly setting up an SSD?

Thanks

2. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

If you brought it new I would contact the manufacturer before trying anything else as you might void your warranty

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

3. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Yeah I will, apparently Novatech's customer service is very good :)

4. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Aside from this issue, I have discovered in Disk Management a 4GB Hibernation Partition and a 13GB WinRE partition. The entire SSD itself is only 111.79GB so these 2 partitions are knocking the final size down to 94GB and even then Windows 8 is using up a chunk of that!

I understand the Hibernation Partition is the same size as the System's RAM. I don't use hibernate though, as the ultrabook starts up in around 10 seconds anyway (from shutdown). Is there a reason I should keep it?

5. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

How much did you pay for the laptop? How powerful is the charger? Some cheap laptops come with weak AC adapters that can't provide the power to run the system on full load, let alone charge the battery at the same time.

6. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

£450 for it (it's an ultrabook if that makes a difference), the charger is 19V, 65Watt 2Pin. The actual laptop holds it's charge very well, so I'm forced to assume they've just given me a weak charger?

7. mm vr

65W should be fine, it's not a weak charger. The problem is somewhere else.

8. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

They've offered to repair/replace it but that means sending it off and it's likely they'll wipe it or something similar so will have to reinstall windows 8. Bit of a pain, not sure if it's worth the effort.

What would you guys do?

9. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

You can disable hibernation and you'll get that 4GB back. There's no data in it, it just reserves it in case you want to hibernate. You can always turn it back on later if you want.

It's always a good idea to get things fixed under warranty while you have it, so you have to decide if it's worth the inconvenience.

10. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Funnily enough I've started using hibernate quite a lot! Finding it very useful now I know how it works.

Yeah that's true, will just get it over with now. Do you know if I should wipe it before I send it off or will they do it? I've installed windows 8 since buying, can I use the same key Microsoft gave me again to activate it?

11. m3rk

m3rk What's a Dremel?

Although it would be a pain to send it back, for the money you have paid it is so something i would want rectified and working correctly. Last time i sent my parents computer back to them for repair, they did contact first regarding the data to see if they had a back etc and offered to take an image of it prior.

12. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Well I followed your advice and Parcelforce picked it up monday afternoon, just hope they get it (or a replacement) back to me soon. I'd like to see it back by Saturday but I doubt that will happen :(

Thanks for the help btw guys :D

13. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

If memory serves, Novatech has a very quick turn around. Usually a week to two weeks. I bought a laptop from them many years ago which had a different issue.

14. Deders

Deders Modder

Is it useful even with an SSD? (btw it's not a partition in itself, just a file within your windows partition)

15. mm vr

Hibernate is like Standby, as in that all your programs stay open, except the system doesn't consume any more power than it does when shut down. With an SSD, resuming from Hibernate with a lot of RAM is as fast as or faster than starting up from a shutdown due to the high sequential read speeds.

16. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

That's good to hear, I miss it!
    Well I don't use it to speed up the boot up time (boot up takes approx 10 seconds with or without hibernation). I use it because it's identical to shutting down except it saves the session. So if I want to take an hour break from work, which is often the case, I just press the power button and close the lid - no need to close down programs or internet windows, or even save my work. Shutting down takes only 4 seconds so I sometimes do this when I'm only taking a 15 minute break!

I only shut down when I want to refresh the system now.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

0% the battery might be your issue. Most batterys do not like been drained to 0 and have issues recharging again once they hit that.

Its noticeable in older phones and laptops.

my suggestion to you would be to leave it with at least 5% charge and see how long it takes to charge up.

if you still have an issue you may have a dud battery but since its in warranty you can get it repaired free of charge if you contact nova tech.

18. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Yeah I know with lithium-ion you're not supposed to fully drain the battery, and it's not something I'd do regularly. When I had it turned on (browsing the web) and charging, it would go up like 1% every 6 minutes, which is ridiculously slow.

19. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

OK so spoke to Novatech today and after 3 days of having my laptop they say that taking around 5.5 hours to charge is normal and they couldn't find any other issue. Rather annoyed about this, the only reason I sent it back for repair was because I was specifically told that the 5.5 hours was an abnormally long time to charge. They're sending it back tonight :/

20. 2scoops

2scoops What's a Dremel?

I've got the same laptop and mine is slow to charge too