1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Charging Sony NZW-A818 away from USB?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cpemma, 1 Sep 2008.

1. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I've a 5V wallwart adaptor that takes a USB plug, works fine to charge my other older Sony MP3 players but no joy with the new one. Yet I see a much more expensive wall charger on sale that claims to work. Is there some combination of player settings, a specially wired lead, or WTF? :confused:

Any help appreciated. :thumb:

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Might be that the newer player runs off 12v and not 5v?

I know nothing about electronics, but It's a start?:p

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

You can't get 12V from USB though - if it works through a computer, it's 5V.

Maybe it's something to do with being plugged in to an OS - does it charge from the computer when it's in BIOS/off?

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

My friend has an MP3 player that only charges once the driver is installed (and running - not in BIOS etc).
    Thing is, I'm wondering how they do it - it may be an internal switch on the 5V line that's only activated once a certain data packet is received over the data lines?

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Further searching shows Sony do their own charger/cradle/speakers thing but it's silly money for what I need. Also there's a car adaptor I suppose I could adapt to any 12V DC source. :(