1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks charity network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by modding-monkey, 24 Oct 2004.

1. modding-monkey

modding-monkey What's a Dremel?

The charity my sister works at has 1 computer with internet and wants to link to another computer wirelessly.

Internet rig
    |
    |
    |
    Other rig

What hardware would you recommend for this setup? Got to be as cheap as possible.

Cheers. :D

2. buzzy

buzzy What's a Dremel?

How is the first system connected to the Internet? By DSL or by a dial-up modem, or by some other method?

Probably the cheapest method is two wireless cards, one in each PC, and Windows' ICS software set up on PC1.

3. modding-monkey

I’m not entirely sure what connection they got.
    I’m going there to find out tomorrow.

Please would you be able to explain???
    I’m new to wireless I have only just bought my first wireless kit should arrive soon.

Cheers :thumb:

4. buzzy

buzzy What's a Dremel?

Wireless networks can work in one of two ways. The first is to have a base station and have everyone set up to communicate with the base station. This is "infrastructure" mode. The other mode is where you do without a base station and the wireless NICs talk directly to each other - "ad hoc" mode. I'm not sure how many wireless cards can participate in an ad hoc network - whether it's just the two or whether you can have more.

The analogy of using a switch (infrastructure) versus a crossover cable (ad hoc) is probably a reasonably good one.

If they've got DSL you might find that a DSL router with inbuilt modem and wireless (NetGear DG834G for example) and one wireless card costs about as much as it costs to buy two wireless cards, and will give you more expandability in future. Plus, that way either PC can access the net independently, whereas with two wireless cards and Internet Connection Sharing, the first PC must always be on so the second can access the net through it.

HTH
    Buzzy

5. modding-monkey

ok cheers i tink i will go with the "ad hoc" cos they only want the 2 rigs linked.
    cheers for all your help! :thumb:

oh yeah how do u set the cards to "ad hoc" mode plz?

6. modding-monkey

Well I went there today and found out that they spent £30 on a crap belkin USB adaptor and saw that the 2 computers are rite next to each other so it will be far more effective to use cable. So I told them to send their USB adaptor back and get 2 wired nics and ill give them a crossover cable.

Cheers for all of your help anyway. :D

Tags: