1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Charity Retro Game Streaming Marathon - 6/12

Discussion in 'General' started by Byron C, 26 Nov 2019.

1. Byron C

Byron C No liability accepted as a result of this post

Starting next Friday 6th December I will be streaming retro games for a total of 48hrs across two separate 24hr sessions. I am raising money for a charity that's pretty close to home, St David's Hospice Care.

My dad passed away early in January 2017 due to hepatocellular carcinoma and carcinomatosis - in English that means liver cancer which then spread throughout his body. You recall me mentioning it at the time in the "ruining your life" thread... He'd previously had small tumour removed a few years prior, but about a week before his 55th birthday in August 2016 he received a terminal diagnosis. The initial prognosis was that he "would be lucky to see Christmas".

He decided to spend his last days at home rather than at hospital. St David's Hospice Care provided visits from a palliative care nurse twice a week, overnight nurse stays, and towards the end of his life provided a syringe driver to administer drugs constantly. Their help gave my family an incredible amount of comfort and support. I cannot adequately describe how grateful I am to St David's Hospice Care. I want to help them continue to provide the kind of care and support that they did for both my father and my family in any way I can.

I have a JustGiving page set up, and thanks to those who have donated so far I'm already at 22% of the £500 goal. If you're interested I've created a public Trello board which lists the games I'm planning to play. The systems I'm going for are Atari STe, Sega Mega Drive, and PC - these are the systems I had and the games I played on them when I was growing up. I'm planning to stream on Twitch.TV, YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter (thank you restream.io!).

Even if you can't donate, sharing the link and even tuning into the stream will be most appreciated. Thank you for reading!

adidan, MLyons and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  2. Byron C

Byron C No liability accepted as a result of this post

If you want to watch along then I'll be broadcasting on both Twitch and YouTube. I'd advise watching on Twitch though, the quality is better and I won't be actively monitoring the chat on YouTube - got enough to worry about! ;)

Massive thanks to anyone who's already donated, it is hugely appreciated. I'm up to 25% of target so far, here's hoping I can get to at least 50% by the end of the first day!

EDIT: I should probably mention times... I'll be streaming from 10am tomorrow to 10am Saturday. I'll be taking a break then and resuming at 10am on Sunday and finishing up at 10am on Monday.