1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Chassis fan won't register in bios?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bennylava, 6 Mar 2021.

1. bennylava

bennylava What's a Dremel?

Hi all. I'm using an old Asus P8H61-M LX3 in my HTPC. Works fine for that purpose. But the chassis fan is a little noisy, and I'd like to be able to turn the RPM down. Should be easily doable on this motherboard, because the bios allows for controlling the chassis fan speed. Only it's not showing up. In the bios, the setting just says N/A, as though nothing is there.

It shows a fan for the CPU, and you can adjust the speed if you so desire. But for the chassis fan, you just get "NA" and you can't make any adjustments. Makes sense if the bios thinks that no fan is actually plugged in. So I wanted to stop by and ask if anyone else has had this happen. And if you were able to solve the problem. Thanks!

https://www.asus.com/US/supportonly/P8H61-M LX3/HelpDesk_Manual/

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You could use a low voltage adapter - basically a small extension cable with an in-line resistor - or you cold hook up a a Y splitter and run both fans off the CPU fan header.

Have you tried another fan on the chassis fan header to see if it registers? Does the fan have a tach wire?

3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

If it says N/A that means the motherboard isn't getting speed feedback from the fan. Try connecting to a different fan header and if that doesn't work, check both ends of the yellow wire to make sure the connection is good (buzz out with a multimeter if you have one).

Also, if its a 4 wire fan, make sure you've set it to PWM in the BIOS.

4. bennylava

bennylava What's a Dremel?

Well there's only 2 fan headers to choose from, the chassis fan and the cpu fan. I thought of swapping them, so I'd have control over the noisy fan. If it actually registers, maybe it won't. Thanks yall have given me some things to check out. I'm sure one of these things will become the solution.