1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Chat services

Discussion in 'General' started by Byron C, 23 Sep 2017.

1. Byron C

Byron C No liability accepted as a result of this post

The company I started working for recently uses Slack for pretty much everything. Slack was originally inspired by IRC and in my youth I spent many... many hours on IRC channels. It's made me quite nostalgic; do people still use chat services these days or are we all buried too deep in "Social Media"?

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Skype for Business/Lync is extremely popular. It's basically MSN Messenger evolved to include being able to function as a SIP soft phone.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Super Moderator Super Moderator

I used IRC, then ICQ and MSN after that, but just kind of stopped like everyone else.
    No personal usage in years, but I do use Cisco Jabber regularly for work.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

I think the rise in social media sites and apps superceeded the traditional messenger offerings, ironicly Facebook Messenger has since been decoupled from the main app and works much like MSN Messenger.

5. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  6. Strudul

Strudul ~

Discord is the go-to these days. Has an IRC-style layout too.

7. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Aside from FaceBook, I haven't used any other online chat service for some years. I'll stick my neck out on the line here and say at least 10 years. I do miss the days of ICQ and MSN etc, not sure why exactly though.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I don't go to chat rooms filled with randomers these days. I use chat services typically as a replacement for text messaging and one to one calls.

9. Edwards

Edwards Active Member

At work we use hangouts quite heavily. Outside of work I use Whatsapp group chats, which is pretty similar, or teamspeak when at a computer.

I can look back on the MSN/IRC days with nostalgia, where an evening talking to 20+ people across a dozen or so windows while playing some crappy online flash games and listening to music was all I wanted, but I wouldn't want to go back to that.

10. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus Rule #9

We use Skype for Business and Lync here. Or at least we are supposed to, I am never signed into them as I would never get anything done. I tried it a while back and the amount of messages I was getting through was insane. I deal a lot with the Middle East and their philosophy on work seems to be that I am just sitting here, doing nothing and waiting for them to send their one job to me, and then to chase it up every half hour. Either that or send me an email then send me a chat to see if I got the email... Got fed up with it and now I only sign in for our monthly department meetings (I'm in Nottingham, but my manager is based in Memphis...).

As for other chat stuff, I pretty much stick to FB messenger these days. I used to be on Yahoo Messenger and MSN all the time, in fact, that's how I met my wife (plus a couple of other... encounters..) but I never sign in there either now.

11. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I still use IRC every day, and mumble for game chatting. Free, open and simple services like these will always be superior to facebook chat or some other ****.

12. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Apart from Windows everything we used in my new job is all done in Google. They don't have any MS software at all. HangOuts is what they used to communicate - its the first time I've ever used it apart from on my Google Nexus 5 before I threw it and broke it in temper.