1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Cheap 580 GTX!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LightningPete, 4 Aug 2013.

1. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

Anandtech bench and gpuboss aren't particularly useful for anything other than a vague idea. Comparisons need to be made on the latest drivers for both cards. The 580 and 7870 on recent games will trade places depending on the game, but the LE is a higher end card and is overall ahead.

I would stress that 2GB is going to become very important in games, already some want that much for higher settings. The 580 is going to become very dated very fast.

OCUK has an LE at £155 including Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite. These could be sold for at least £20.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2013
  2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

...and £5 more than that gets you a 7950 + bioshock infinite and crysis 3

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Interesting, also comes with Blood Dragon too, the 670 comes with Splinter Cell Blacklist. All games would help reduce the cost of the card if you didn't want them and could sell them. I think I'd rather have the generally faster 670 - according to BTs review of the 760. But the 7950 more than likely work out cheaper if all the games could be sold.

5. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

The 670 and 7950s are good choices, but they're quite a lot more than the £138 the OP was looking at.

If the 580 were £100 I'd say it was a good enough deal, but at ~£140 it's far too close in price to the 7870 LE, even without the games that comes with. You can't buy any midrange cards with <2GB RAM any more, and games are set to make the most of that.

6. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

But its interesting to see when were talking economically about good cards, that £40 can get my a 670, something I didnt even realise. But yes, £140 budget, is what im currently looking at for the next 2 years worth of gaming till I can save up for a CPU/RAM/Mobo refit at best. Im looking at the 7870 LE
    but what benchies will i see different vs the 580- in arma 2 /3 and planetside 2, world of tanks, et al.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2013
  7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Arma 2 being cpu intensive dependant on what you are playing. Zombies is Dayz are tied to your system. At least the ones you spawn.

Arma 3 not sure if more even split on resources. And dont know about the other games tbh.

Personally I havent gained much with Arma when I switched to 670. Mostly play DayZ anyway. Ten fps jump in BF3 as well.

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

That's what I thought tbh, but felt I should chuck it in. Good luck :)

Off topic, dom what CPU do you have?

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Just a point of clarification, Isn't it 7870XT? It's labeled as LE, but isn't supposed to by XT?

10. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

Technically an HD 7870 Tahiti LE, but that's a mouthful. I think VTX3D just calls it a 7870 Black Edition.

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm surprised no one has thrown up any examples of benchmarks using newer drivers for AMD cards seeing as that always seems to be the prime for reason to buy an AMD card.

I personally would like to see these benchmarks so I can correctly inform any friends what they should be buying.

12. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Imagine the old benchmarks. Now add ~20% across the board.

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

But nvidia have also released new drivers so how does that balance out.

That's my point everyone says new amd drivers have increased amd card performance but can't the same be said regarding nvidia, also they say that the amd cards overclock really well but can't the same be said about nvidia cards?

I just want to see some new benchmarks showing all this info.

14. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

The difference is that AMD is actively working on the 7000 series and released a huge driver overhaul earlier in the year. Nvidia has done incremental increases, but they're not improving the 500 series.

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Sorry for changing the subject/going off topic but how do you go about that when each product has to be registered under the name and address of the original owner? I "got into trouble" with EVGA when trying to "transfer the warranty" on a product a while ago i.e. RMA something that I purchased second hand.

[edit]

Never mind, I see from their warranty policies that it doesn't apply to their long term warranties which is what I was talking about.

16. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'd imagine they are seeing as they are the latest cards.

...but I'll ask again can someone please put up some benchmarks showing this info.

I see the same things being stated over and over again but no one backs it up with links etc.

When ever i used to recommend items I would always provide info like benchmarks showing why I thought it was the right choice but no one seems to do this regarding the amd new drivers issue.

17. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

http://ht4u.net/reviews/2013/55_dir...2][]=8&filter[2][]=SSAA&filter[3][]=16&aa=all

Compares GTX 580 with 7950 (non-boost) at stock clocks. The stock 7870 LE performs equal to a stock 7950 so is the best comparison. This is a reliable set of benchmarks - all taken at the same time on very recent drivers on the same known hardware. Sets like this are very far and few between.

18. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

At last some evidence.

Thanks tepic that puts thing into perspective.

That should have been added from the start to hekp out the op.

Possibly needs more than one source for vaildation though.

19. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

There aren't many group tests around on new drivers unfortunately. Reviews of the 7870 LE are on older drivers (late 2012) so they're inaccurately low, but they still show sizeable differences:

http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/RE5.png

(The 580 results won't have changed really with drivers because of the GPU's age)

20. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

7870Le seems much more expensive though, unless my google foo fails me