1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap Motherboard with two gfx slots?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by SazBard, 23 Mar 2010.

1. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

Hello all, what would be a nice cheap Sk775 motherboard to get for setting up a little dedicated folding rig, I already have the CPU (e6300) and one 8800GT then somewhere down the line I can find another to add.

I do have a Motherboard which is an ASRock 4-core-dual vsta but unfortunately I doesn't like my 8800GT.

Cheers.

EDIT: Oh forgot to add: Or if you guys have something apt laying around I could buy off you?
    EDIT2: Hmm, or do I just buy a MB with one slot and a bit more beefier GFX card in?..

I dunno, all this folding lark is confusing me!!

Last edited: 23 Mar 2010
  2. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

3. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

Get another Biostar if you can find one.

4. SazBard

OK here's my plan of attack.
    1) I've just ordered a Antec 650Watt PSU for my main rig, I will stick the Tagan 480Watt into the e6300 box
    2) Go on the look out for a cheap MB, maybe as you say Tesla, I can get another Biostar.
    3) Get nice new fast GFX card for main rig.
    4) Stick 8800gt into e6300 folding rig.
    5) Get some decent folding points =D

Norfolk> That's a great price eh! But I need to think realistically about budget at the moment, last night I when I posted I got a bit carried away with the whole idea of a seperate folding rig with two gfx cards in, that's a bit out of my budget at the moment. I will have to concentrate on upgrading my main rig wisely so I can pass on the old equipment to the folding rig bit by bit...

Am I making sense or just rambling on?!

Thanks for the input guys.

5. Vaio

Vaio What's a Dremel?

6. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

I can sell you my Asus Maximus II Gene as I just upgraded.:D I know I'll get some words that classified is somewhere else, but just wanted to send the word to someone that actually needs it :idea:

7. SazBard

Well I'm thinking now just to get a really cheap MB, I've seen an asus one on ebuyer for £30, then upgrade the card in my main rig and stick the 8800gt in the folding rig...

I'm folding on it with the normal clients at the moment and each one's eta is 20hrs according to hfm :sigh:

I tried the smp client and also notfred but they take way too long, just not enough horsepower in a e6300!

Saying that, I remember notfred flying along on it before, don't know why its taking so long now (900ppd)

8. Vaio

Vaio What's a Dremel?

See if you can get hold of an old Asus FP-IN9. I have one with 2 old 320mb 8800gts running the gpu client and an e6600 running the smp client.

9. SazBard

don't ya mean Abit? :p
    I've checked the board out, it looks great. But they are going for around £45 on ebay, a bit out my budget unfortunately.

But many thanks for the suggestion! :)

Last edited: 28 Mar 2010
  10. Vaio

Vaio What's a Dremel?

Yes, Abit. It only says Abit on the motherboard in big letters so it was an easy mistake for me to make.....