1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Cheap, not terrible TV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ljs, 10 Aug 2018.

1. Ljs

Ljs Well-Known Member

I've back with my parents for a bit (ouch) and need a TV, but I haven't really kept up with things.

The room is a reasonable size but I don't want anything too big so around 40 inches. My plan is to use it as my primary TV until I'm settled in my own place again and then move it to my bedroom. I don't watch terrestrial TV and will just use a Firestick. Not sure if I'm bothered about 4k (you don't miss what you've never had).

Not the most exciting, but any suggestions?

2. silk186

silk186 Canadian

If it is going to be a bedroom TV does it really matter? I picked up an LG 42LB5500 42" 1080p for £120 on gumtree a few years back. It's connected to my computer with Sonarr with a set of Microlab FC 360 2.1 Channel Speaker. I've been very happy with the setup. As long as it is a decent brand and doesn't look ugly you should be fine. I would recommend a sound bar or 2.1 set of powered speakers.

BlareFlipTed likes this.
  3. BlareFlipTed

BlareFlipTed New Member

Agreeing that having a high-end brand shouldn't be the goal if the model meets your expectations. 40-42" should be fine for a room. LG & Samsung have decent options for great prices.

4. silk186

silk186 Canadian

Most people can tell the difference between a decent and high-end TV in terms of the picture unless they do a side-by-side test. The sounds can be pretty crap (add 2.1 speakers) and you might not have smart TV functions (add an Amazon Fire stick or similar).