1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Cheapest RAW cam ?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by KNova, 17 Feb 2011.

1. KNova

KNova What's a Dremel?

Hi

cant really find a correct answer : does some1 know which camera is the cheapest in compact!! category that can do RAW file format ?

2. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

From canon it's probably something from the S90 Series.

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

You can get some really cheap cameras second hand that save in RAW format, but the image quality is so bad that it negates that point of using the format.

What is your budget and what kind of pictures do you intend to take? If you've been looking around, what cameras have you been looking at?

Otherwise, personally I'm with lcdguy. I've been looking at a Canon S95 as a secondary camera to go with my DSLR.

4. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

ya. i personally have the S90IS as my takewithmeeverydayyouneverknowwhatyoumightsee camera.

5. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Why do you need a camera that can save images in this format?

6. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

Shooting raw rsults in much more felxible photos as it's much easier to manipulate them using the provided raw tools or something like light room, aperture or Photoshop. Also RAW mode result in an uncompressed file unlike jpeg mode.

7. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

Most Fuji Bridge cameras do, I know the HS10 does, that is pretty cheap and by all accounts stonking value for money for what it does.

Canon wise...although the S95 does and is excellent, I chose the G12 over it as the articulated LCD, viewfinder and ND filter are very useful. Nothing like jamming a small camera against your face to stabilise it now...It is max apperture of 2.8 vs 2.0 for the S95 though.

Other inexoensiver RAW cameras that aren't rubbish are the Lumix LX 3 and 5 and the Nikon P7000.

8. KNova

KNova What's a Dremel?

Thx for the help gona check these out !

I ve a Canon 500D as my main cam but i need something like lcdguy sayed a "takewithmeeverydayyouneverknowwhatyoumightsee " cam. im just afraid that something happens with my cam while im on my holiday PLus its not compact to put it into my pocket :D

the prob is the budget is 100 pounds top ! :)

Last edited: 18 Feb 2011
  9. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Canon S95, Panasonic Lumix LX5, Nikon P7000 combined review:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q42010highendcompactgroup/

To be honest, I don't think you'll find anything for under £100 that'll save in a usable RAW format. Even second hand, older cameras like the Canon G9 are still way over budget.

10. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

If you want something small, the EX1 Samsung with the F/1.8 lens can be had cheaply now, £249 in UK some places. Personally wouldn't bother with the Nikon P7000 as they have had several faults, unless they sorted them out, one was a zombie lens focus thing where it just pumped the lens in and out for no reason till you pulled the battery.

S95 for smallness, LX5 for its video and a G12 for features, even though it is a bit of a brick, and probably bigger than most rectangular M4/3 cameras with a pancake lens (like a GF2). I carry a G12 about with me on trips with a Speedlight 270EX in another pocket. Good travelling alternative to lugging a DSLR like a D300s about with a bunch of lenses.