1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Checking CrossFire Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stewb, 11 May 2010.

1. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

I am considering a 2x5870 in crossfire. I just wanted to check that my conclusions on PCI (e) slots remaining is correct.

My motherboard is an Asus P6TD Deluxe, expansions slots shown in the image below (stolen from a review here :p):

[​IMG]

The manual says to use PCIe slots 1 and 2 for crossfire setups, that's the blue and white slots.

Just a simple question really. Am I correct in saying that I will then have the second PCI slot and the black PCIe x4 slot free for further expansion in future (I'm thinking of a sounc card)? Or would it just be impossible (or stupid because of heat) to use the PCI slot?

Thanks

2. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

if its something half-height like a wireless card then it will be fine. same goes for a sound card as neither of them generate much (if any) heat.

your problem might be stopping airflow but that depends on the gfx card cooler and what you put in the PCI slot.

Stewb likes this.
  3. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Judging from the picture if you were going crossfire with two 5870's which are dual slot cards the only slot left free would be the second PCI slot, the black PCI-e looks like it would be covered by the graphics card in the white PCI-e slot.

Stewb likes this.
  4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Don't forget the little black x4 PCIe lane (at the top) will be clear to used for a sound card or something.
    So with 2 x5870 you will have 1x PCIe x4 slot and 1x PCI lane available.

Simon

Stewb likes this.
  5. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I know the lower PCIe x16 will be covered, the two I asked about were the x4 and the lower PCI slot. Thanks for feedback, both uncovered is good as it allows a bit more freedom :)

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I wouldn't use the PCI lane in between the GPU unless it was a small card that doesn't cover the fan of the first gpu.
    Using the top PCIe x4 slot will be fine as you wont get any over heating issues.

Cheers,

Simon.