1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Checkwipe - positive.. Need a pump speed reducer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 10 Jul 2017.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I crapped a little.

OK so I need some advice here..

Last night my chum from across the pond and I were playing Transformers in co op. It was all good, and we completed two decepticon sections. However, later last night when it had cooled down a chunk I decided I wanted to play some Fallout 3. I got about an hour in, and then out of nowhere my rig shut down. I thought "How rude !" and immediately turned it back on again. It posted, the windows logo came up and it shut down again. My first thought was "Oh god please don't tell me that Klevv ram is unstable". On the third try I decided that I would look inside the rig as it was starting.

Sure enough, no flow on the GPU loop. Touched the back of the Fury X - oucho. Red hot.

I grabbed the 20" floor standing fan and directed it into the rig and then investigated. My first gut feeling was "Oh god no please tell me the pump has not failed" as it's a nightmare in this rig. I took apart the side panel of the interior and disconnected the £5 Gelid fan controller I had running 7v and plugged it into a 12v fan wire feed and yay, SPINNY FLOW METER !

So basically the fan controller I was using has died, leading me to believe that maybe the pump was pulling more current than it could handle.

So, I need a way of dropping down the V/speed of the pump without spending an arm and a leg. I don't need it to look nice, or do anything spectacular, just stop it sounding like a bumbleee with the constant wishy washy sound because it's going so fast it's actually whipping up bubbles in there and sending them around the loop.

Ta.

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

3. Vault-Tec

I don't know fella. 5v is too little (the flow is sometimes not enough to push the flow meter) so it needs to be 7v. It also needs to handle the pump. IIRC the pump is listed @ 4.9w, but it burnt out the Gelid controller. And it did too, 'cause I took it apart and it mings of burning electronics lol.

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

That reducer is 7v I think.

5. Vault-Tec

I think most are. I might buy a Noctua one (£3.99 fleabay) and use that. Though tbh I am worried because if this pump goes it's serious BS to replace. The loop is captive, meaning the whole thing needs to be drained and another loop removed to get it out easily. It has a fill port and takes about two hours to fill because of the way I completely did it wrong, and fed the fill port into the pumps output so it does not suck in coolant. You have to pour it in about 50ml at a time, then tip the rig back and forth and it weighs a ton lol.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Wire it to 7V for free, job's a good 'un.

Assuming the thing currently has two power wires, 12V and Ground, pop the Ground pin out of the connector and put it where it would normally get 5V. 12V-5V=7V, job's a good 'un, no resistor or additional hardware (beyond, perhaps, a paperclip to get the pin out) required.

7. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

If you use a resister it gets extremely hot. I used to use a Sunbeam fan controller with I think 40W per channel and added extra heatsinks.

Don't some PSUs refuse to start if you do the 7V mod?

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've never had one that's had a problem, but then again I haven't done the 7V mod since I last owned 80mm Delta Screamer fans. Can't see why it would cause a PSU not to start, though.

9. Vault-Tec

I hear good and bad things about that method. Some say it's really bad for the power supply.

Elf - it lives right behind a 120mm fan intaking air. I think the Gelid was just pony. Looking at the components? yeah, about 10p.

10. Gareth Halfacree

These people know nothing about electrical circuits. It's completely harmless, I can assure you: all you're doing is using a non-0V ground. It's considerably less strain for the PSU than sticking a resistor in-line with the pump.

11. Vault-Tec

OK cheers. I think I have some here any way. I bought like 8 Silverstone penetrators and they all came with 5/7/12 molex-fan. So I should be able to cobble something together easily enough :)

12. Vault-Tec

All fixed. There's a small whirr when the pump starts but then it goes silent. Ahh, bliss.

Just some major cleaning to do on the outside.

[​IMG]

13. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

When you say it goes silent, make sure it's still running!

14. Vault-Tec

Yeah course. That's what the flow meter is for :D