1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cheifted case (review 57)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Jaz, 18 Dec 2001.

1. Jaz

Jaz Banned

Are you going to mod this beautiful case at all?
    I'm tempted to buy one as theyre relatively cheap, btw does anyone think that their dragon full tower case and 400w PSU for £169 is a good deal?

2. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Check out the front page...Project Mithril is underway :D :D I'm in the middle of cutting up this beauty right now, but my dremel-clone blew up :p

The full tower is absoloutely freakin' huge and very, very heavy, so only consider it if you've got a log of space and big arms! There is loads of space in it, I'd thoroughly recommend it. I'd have got one if it wasn't for the fact I have to carry my case back and forth to lans and uni :)

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

LOL- I thought i was just the unlucky one :( poor Haz.

4. squishedhog

squishedhog What's a Dremel?

I've got the full-tower one, and as Haz says - it's fookin heavy!!

I don't know what I'm gonna do come uni like - the drives are easily removed tho, so I might whip the drives out and transport them seperately. I've got till september to worry about that though (placement, yay!) so I might just end up getting myself to the gym and hiring that low-loader...

Can't fault the build quality - solid as a rock and there's plenty of room... I defy anyone to have six hard drives!! I can't fault the airflow - rounded cables are good, but not required for this beastie (I've got them anyway!) Plus, in the full tower you get 5 80mm fan bays, and a 120 at the top, above the PSU. What with the front grille being so open, you get loadsa CFM through the case! I've got 4x 38cfm ThermalTakes and one other no-namer 80 mil fans, and case temps never go above 37oC!

Heartily Recommended!

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

Hmmm you sure its 37C, my case temp is never more than 25, and thats with the heating on, and the extra heater I have...

Normally my case temp is around 15 - 18C, cos it takes air direct from the fireplace in my room :D nice cold stuff, so it actually runs below room temp :D :D :p

Biggie

6. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Chieftec is a goood case, have a black midi one myself :) nice review as well!

The Chieftec PSUs for me have been dodgy though, one was DoA and my current one is going back as it wont provide enough amps on the 5v line to boot my AthlonXP despite being AMD approved and 340w! There is something wrong with the darn thing :(

7. squishedhog

Yep, it's a happy temp for me - it's sucking in warm air from my mobile radiator, that's why it's a bit high!

When I say case temp, I mean mobo temp - from MBM5.... I suppose I could hook up another temp sensor to my digidoc to get an accurate case temp reading.

It averages about 30oC, that's up here in (currently snowy) newcastle, the thing is - it's turned on, an average of 6hrs per day, that's running 100% cpu usage (United Devices) and the ambient airflow certainly isn't the best it could be!

8. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Yeah, shifting the chieftec to and from uni not fun....

Be careful with Blue ones (and presumably silver as well), because the paint is very delicate. The black and (eugh) beige ones are normal, harder paint.

9. squishedhog

I've got a couple scratches on the top of mine already, off an old hard drive... it's durable - but not super durable... (black full tower)

10. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

definitely want one of the full tower version. Plenty of room for all the drives etc. I got one of those nibbler cutters for the case modding, cuts plastic, steal etc. No more burnt out dremels. I have heard critism of the paint quality on these cases though before. Laquer time me thinks.;)

11. Rod10k

Rod10k What's a Dremel?

yep, i have already got two noticible scratches on the side of mine from my leatherman :( guess ill just have to cut it out and put in a window :)

Rod

12. Jaz

Jaz Banned

i haven't got the case yet but i have some cash left over from xmas which i'll prolly put towards a new amd mobo and cpu.
    does anyone have any links to a modded cheiftec case, they look too good to hack up. so i want to see what a windowed/any other mod where you damage the case cheiftec looks like

13. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

There's a bunch on the VH case gallery..I did some research there to start with!

By the way guys, the modding frenzy has now finished, and boy does this baby look sweet!

*glances at Macro black*

*hides*

:p

Tags: Add Tags