1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Chernobyl (HBO, Sky Atlantic)

Discussion in 'General' started by Vault-Tec, 4 Jun 2019.

1. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

There's a bbc documentary that can be had via download called "the battle for chernobyl" and it details the immediate cleanup operation and has some footage from the actual operation as well as several years afterwards in maintaining the sarcophagus and finding where exactly all the uranium ended up after it melted down.

Several documentaries about building the new safe confinement as well are worth a look - again available on newsgroups.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've posted a Youtube vid of the BBC docu here dude.

3. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

4. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Amazing series. The way they simplified the explanation of the inner workings of the reactor to make it easier for the general public to understand was brilliantly done.

The core exploded.
    "No it didn't"

The roof is off.
    "You're mistaken"

But I can see the core
    "No you can't"

Dyatlov's character was really well portrayed. Makes you want to punch the guy.

Arboreal and Vault-Tec like this.
  5. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i watched it again last night with my mom, ( all in one long depressed sitting ) and when the rooftop liquidator scene was on, i actually watched the clock, they said he would get 90 seconds to work, and bang on 90 seconds he rang the bell, beautiful screenplay. i also loved the authenticity provided by using the actual footage in several points such as news reports, the call to the fire department and even the Prypyat evacuation notice

as for the Shelter being put over the reactor, they build a large structure over the reactor after the accident nicknamed the Sarcophagus but again due to time safety and budget concerns it was built on top of the cracked walls of the reactor hall. They had decided that it was too dangerous to try to move the material, so they simply shovelled everything into the remains of the reactor hall and then built the Sarcophagus over the top. but cracks let daylight into the hall and apparently the inside was covered in moss, despite it being one of the most radioactive places on earth. the new shelter was built and slid over the existing structure and is sealed against more sold points. the intention now is to use the cranes built inside the new confinement to dismantle the old Sarcophagus and Decommission the material entombed within

Here is a great view of the old Sarcophagus
    [​IMG]

The new Safe Confinement was built away from the Building ( to make it abit easier and safer, and then moved over the reactor building )

[​IMG]
    And this is a view from inside now the NSC is in position

[​IMG]

here is a model of the of the interior of the reactor building, the Lid clearly sitting on its side ( note the figures for scale and the wall closest to the right being at an angle, that is one of the walls holding the old containment up

6. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Don't know if anyone has seen it but there is an excellent Chernobyl film with Ade Edmondson that's really good. If you liked the new series you should love this.

7. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Crazy video footage from Inside the Sarcophagus, showing the Reactor lid, and some of the melted fuel ( called Corium )
    its also crazy to see that the radiation has an effect on the Digital Camera, thats what causes the 'snow' seen in some of the footage

8. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Just watched the first episode, gripping stuff. My wife had to ask what was going on, as she didn't really get into the first section quickly.

Don't worry folks, the roof's not off...:duh:

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

This is whats known as "The Elephants Foot". A mix of fuel, concrete and core sealing materials that the fuel melted and is located in the basement under the core.
    Initially it was giving off something in the region of 10,000 roentgens per hour, it has somewhat decreased hence the person kneeling near it. But its still very radioactive from what I understand.

[​IMG]

Maybe they could do one on Fukushima? Be a different twist.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Fukushima would certainly be an interesting one, although maybe leave it a little while before filming it. The contrast of the Japanese and Soviet responses could come across a little too ra ra look at how evil the russkies are, even if that would be entirely fair.

At least leave it until Russian state TV have made their 'it was totally a CIA plot y'all,' show.

11. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I still haven't seen the show, but I did a deep dive on nuclear accidents a few years ago. The foot is slowly eating it's way through the concrete. If it reaches groundwater they'll have a whole new disaster to deal with.

The most unnerving event I found on that deep dive was the Tokaimura accident. A technician was subjected to the most amount of radiation anyone has ever been exposed to. The drama lies in the decision to keep him alive for 83 days to study the effects of radiation exposure, including world's first transfusion of peripheral stem cells. If you google it, try to avoid pictures; You don't want to see a person melt.