1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Chernobyl likeness nailed in S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 5 Jan 2007.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

First Encounter Assault Recon actually. :)

And yea, I'll be waiting for this game... like I did in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006. :eyebrow:
    It was delayed the first time to avoid having to compete directly against Doom 3 and HL2 as the three were supposed to be released around the same date. Once upon a time...

2. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Awesome.

I've been waiting for a good game for months now. I just can't seem to enjoy some of the newer "high-rated" games like GRAW.

If anybody has some suggestions, that would be great.

3. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

They've done a good job with the environments, although I had to laugh at their claim that the engine allows "near–photo realism". :p For the sake of speculation, I wonder how it would all look running on CryEngine 2? :)

4. tecate

tecate What's a Dremel?

I follow the community at http://stalker-portal.ru/ (russian) closely and the set release date is March 16th. Lets hope it will not be postponed

5. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Don't say that, we'll never see it! :duh:

6. Sphering

Sphering What's a Dremel?

Nexxo, you amaze me... :)
    And let's hope the game is good

7. dr_crazy

dr_crazy What's a Dremel?

I've been waiting for this foir so long, its unimaginable!

So when I saw play had it on pre-order, guess who splurged :D

8. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

When eventually we get to play it, the source engine comparisons will be forgotten the second you're emerged in the STALKER environment.

Back in 2004 Spring I got a chance to run around 2 maps. I guess at that stage they were working on AI (cause it did not work well). So it was mostly just running around and enjoying the view. The amount of detail was just astounding. The biggest difference between STALKER and other game environments I saw was how organic even a simple pavement felt. Small peaces of branches and leaves from trees on the side of the road covered the pavement. And the rust/dirt and damage on buildings was just amazing.

The graphics engine is very good, since at the time I was running it on gf2 mx400, and it ran fine. And I fear that because at the time I had no good comparison I was stunned by STALKER's visuals. Either way it is still one of the most interesting shooters of 2005, I mean 2006 ehhh 2007.

9. Darkangel

Darkangel What's a Dremel?

Ive seen the film Stalker and iirc its russian with subs and black and white? My mate who was obsessed with the game (even tho it still hasnt come out) bought it to tide him over before the game... tbh I fell asleep half way thru, but dont take my (then) 17yo pov... im sure it was interesting from what i remember it was a bit confusing but there were some chases and ppl with guns and had quite a dark atmosphere

10. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

The film "Stalker" is a thinking man's sci-fi....arthouse cyberpunk. One of my favourite films. But not the sort of film that'll appeal to people brought on the Matrix and other wham-bam-thank-you-mam sci-fi films. :rolleyes:

Funny story about watching the film. I have a mate who's rather too squeemish (i.e. a sissy). He came into the room where me and other mates are watching Stalker, just before the three guys go down the "meat grinder" scene. He sits down and watches the movie for a few minutes and then leaves. I asked where he's going and he says "I don't like horror movies". This movie is a PG for crissakes....he was convinced he was watching a scary movie. :hehe:

11. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Looks great to me - and the setting of the game really appeals. Theres something oddly compelling (as well as unsettling) about Chenobyl. Interesting story behing the film 'Stalker' too, and Nexxxo's coincidences are really strange.

12. Bloody_Aftertaste

Bloody_Aftertaste What's a Dremel?

Well, you're somewhat correct. The last unit to be shut down was Unit 3 (housed in the same building as the destroyed Unit 4) in December 2000, and yes, some 500 or so people live in the Zone again, mostly elderly people who'd returned to their homes against the government orders to evacuate the Zone. And there's about 1300 people in the town of Chornobyl, some 12 miles south-east of the power plant.

Tags: Add Tags