1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chernobyl

Discussion in 'Serious' started by smashie, 15 Apr 2004.

1. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I didn't feel that happy after looking through it. For those of us who are old enough to remember it clearly and for those who aren't.

Link

2. RTT

RTT #parp

Seen this before - quite fascinating in some ways.

3. MarcelloRupelli

MarcelloRupelli What's a Dremel?

As a biker and wannabe-urban explorer, I found that absolutely fascinating. There's several versions of the site floating around, this one has better English. She must've re-written it. At any rate, it'd be amazing to ride thru there. Just not sure I'd want to stop.

4. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Oh, I remember that quite well. Scarry thing is that the same thing almost happend here in the US back in the late 70's in Pennsylvania (3 mile island).

Edit::
    Just read the entire site. Kind of brings things into perspective doesn't it? Sad, so sad.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2004
  5. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Fascinating. It must be so scary to ride through a city without life in it......

6. Darv

Darv Bling!!

An interesting read. Theres no way in hell you would have seen me going anywhere near the place. Let alone walking so close up to the reactor.

7. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

I've always wanted to visit the "dead zone", me and a good friend are planning a trip in our gap year. I must admit, I'm more worried about the shear intensity of the lack of life, rather than the radition. What an amazing woman.

8. Carbon

Carbon Banned

Wow, that's a powerful site. I couldnt imagine what it would be like to have been there.

The glowing tree's would have been cool though :rock:

9. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Very very sad, well worth the read.

'doc

10. [Tom]

[Tom] Minimodder

That is a very powerful site....and an interesting read.

11. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Its a shame she hasnt included her email address, i bet shed have got alot of very complimentary emails.

its a very powerful site, them pictures of the kindergarten at the end really put it into perspective. Amazing. good link!

12. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

That site is certainly very powerful, but I think what is more powerful is the demonstration of what can happen when our latest technology goes wrong. Centuries ago it would be a building burning down and tens would die, a century ago it might be a ship sinking and a few thousand would die and now part of a nuclear reactor blows and hundreds of thousands die.

Scary when you think about it, kids finding ever more dangerous toys with no safety instructions.

13. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

It was a handful of workers being irresposible and pushing it to the limit, removing safety protocols as they went.

They had the tools and the instructions to control the reaction perfectly, they didn't lower the control rods in-time, created a positive void co-efficent around the rods, producing a chain reaction, causing way to much steam, and an explosion. Admittedly, they shouldn't have been able to break the safety protocols, but that's no excuse.

14. Stew

Stew Disgruntled Postal Worker

She's sure got big Cahones

15. Stew

Stew Disgruntled Postal Worker

rather attractive too

16. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

yep, shes a babe :)

in responce to the bigger toy's, bigger bangs thing. This kind of thing wont happen again. Since then these things dont allow for workers to be stupid with it, computers see risk far ahead of when somethign needs to be done (well, seconds in computer time :p)and will sort it out...

The next big thing on the chart for destructivity to man, i think, will be anti-matter testing as a feasable source of energy (antimatter should be around 1000 times as destructive as a nuclear fission plant). There will be no margin of error in that. I doubt in such tests "any" safty protocols which could lead to destruction would be bypasssed due to the nature of the explosions (possibly causing extinction!). We are learning from mistakes, and I think thats it good, thats as far as nuclear fission plants go, they have been so successful, its a very precise thing that needs to be done, and back in the 1980's it was alot more man power than computer. Computers do a much better job than humans for thiskind of thing imho.

17. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

the worse pics are of the school at the end. of all the toys and things. just imagine what it must have been like for those people.one day life is normal.next day you are moved out of your home ,never to return again.you have just left everything your have ever worked for,all the memories of your childhood etc all just left behind. its a horrible what happened for the people of Chernobyl.

18. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

That would be kool visiting it
    with some friends of course
    going alone would be freaky
    i do like her bike too

19. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Unless they switch the computer off, like they switched one of the safty devices off, their probably will always be a human way to control it, for example if the computer goes down.

I don't think they will make the mistake so easily thou.

'doc

20. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

After finding this site I wanted to know a lot more about the accident itself, all the tv programs never have enough detail. This site goes into all the details of the accident includuding the falwed design of the reactor and the timelime of what happened in the control room. :sigh: