1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chieftec dragon ::UPDATE Mar 25::

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by x3r0, 12 Dec 2003.

1. microsoftman

microsoftman Banned

wow! your window looks a LOT like mine that I did earlier this month. Mine is in mirrored stainless, but there are some suprising similarities. Looking good. I think that on my next case I will work with bondo and paint, although the stainless looks good, it is limiting.

2. fonts

fonts What's a Dremel?

thats dodgy
    lol jk
    looks good thus far

3. x3r0

x3r0 What's a Dremel?

Okay ladies and gentle men,
    earlier today (about 20 mins ago) i finished covering up the holes in the window side of the case door.
    yay though me .... as it really did look like a top notch job.... then came the bad part.
    I had decided to fill it with putty as i though it would be the easiest thing to use as it can be sanded back quite easily. The only problem was that after i had finished sanding it, all the little bits of putty in the holes started to fall out :(

so here i am asking all you experienced modders if you have any idea's on how to fill those damn holes and fill them permenantly.

I was thinking of using some araldyte, but i would need a fair bit and my dad chucked the bit that we had left in the bin last nite. :duh:

cheers
    - Gareth

4. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

try using auto body filler - used for repairs to car body work.
    I'm not sure how well it will adhere to paint, so if you can/havent already, remove some of the paint around the area you are trying to fill by sanding. It will be harder to sand down than just putty but in the long run it will adhere to the surface better plus it will be far more durable. It's also easy to paint over when nicely smoothed out.

I would recommend a brand or a store to buy the stuff - but there might be a location barrier there.

Why has has everyone started doing loads of mods on chieftecs all of a sudden?!!? I've been planning to use one for ages but cant due to lack of money :waah: :waah:
    hopefully there will still be a couple of untested ideas when i get round to doing mine!
    Nice work so far man!!

.: Fillip :.

5. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

They do cheiftecs for under £40 at ebuyer.co.uk sould ent take to long to save up!

This case looks gr8 btw :thumb:

6. x3r0

x3r0 What's a Dremel?

That's the stuff that i used in the first place, and for the front panel :grr:

so far the best idea has come from an OCAU forum member, he suggested using some sort of fibreglass resin, the way he described it made it sound like it would most definatley work. :thumb:

7. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

I'd use fubre glass on plastic surfaces sure, but i thought you said it was the side panel which i assumed was metal. Autobody filler works fine, well it has to, just look at its intended uses!!
    But for plastic as you say, wont always stick to it

Slater3333UK
    You have no idea what it's like to be a student do you!?!? :hehe:

Can't afford that right now, and the 2nd thing is that the ebuyer ones are the nasty clunky steel chassis versions. I found a site that sells the lurvely aluminium ones for just a tenner more!!! :rock: :rock:

much lighter and easier to hack away at.

8. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

where? where?

9. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

Oh so you want me to share my knowledge with you do you?!?!? hmm, ok then, HERE

They are £54 incl. VAT - just leave me one!! :thumb:
    Full alu. chassis

10. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

What exactly is your reason to make it white? I like it though... White is indeed the best colour to go with the blue ccfl's, but blacklight ccfl's would be cool too.

I'm loving this mod. I usually don't like the Chieftec's, but this is an exception :thumb:

11. x3r0

x3r0 What's a Dremel?

Thank you very much :)
    i dont know why i chose to go with white... in the end i suppose it's just because i wanted something different, and what's more different from black than white :p

12. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

White is awesome.

Don't deny it. With all the smooth lines of this machine [ at least the front, white with flames looks beast anyway ] the white really helps.

13. x3r0

x3r0 What's a Dremel?

Small update, i put the case back together a few days ago, but dad took the camera on his camping trip so i havent been able to get pics until now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not going to paint the outside panels, basically because my painting skills are shocking and they would just get cracked/ scratched immediatley.
    So i'm going to get them powdercoated for approximatley $60 au ... front and backl :thumb:

also i need your help on deciding the window plexi. I was orginally just going to use normal clear stuff.... but i found at bunnings this smoked blue / black stuff that i think would look great, i'm going to get the dark stuff but i'd like to know what you think about it as well.

14. Sol Badguy

Sol Badguy What's a Dremel?

i like the case... but personally, that side handle doesnt/wont look to will with that cool panel. why dont u cut it even with the rest of the panel. than bondo the rest of it?

ps..just my opinion

15. x3r0

x3r0 What's a Dremel?

nice idea....but personally i think it looks a little better with it.

sorta breaks it up a bit if you know what i mean.
    If i wasnt so close to getting the case powdercoated then i might consider this idea.
    thanks.

16. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Looking real nice for a chieftec... I really like the way that the white is coming out... anything else special for the case?

Nice Moddin... :hehe:

17. Stratus

Stratus What's a Dremel?

I really like the full tower you used. A lot of people, including myself, are going to Shuttle systems. I like how you incorporated the twin fans in the front. I've wanted to do twin fans in the front of my system, but I don't have the patience to use Bondo and do all that stuff. I guess you have to have patience to mod computers. I can't wait to see it after you powder coat it and everything. Let us know what it looks like when your finished. :D

18. kwaidaN:Metatron

kwaidaN:Metatron psychonaut

i like how this is turning out... good luck with filling the holes on the side... i would try fiberglass filler and hardner... the stuff they use to mend boats and such... i also think a blue tinted window would work well with the look of your case...

19. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

great cuttout there, I like it, good job keep up th good work :dremel:

20. Dragosoft

Dragosoft What's a Dremel?

Nice cutting job :clap:
    I cant wait to next update and new pics :)

Nice window cutting... i really like that.