1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chillers - What you need to know!

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by aquatuning, 4 May 2010.

1. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

Recently in Custom PC Project Beast highlighted the use of the Hailea Ultra water chiller range that we stock.

Since the article we have had a lot of questions about these so I thought I would dedicate a thread to them to give you a little more insight in to the use of the chillers and important information you need to know about them.

Chiller - What is it?

[​IMG]

Not to dumb this down too much but it does what it says on the tin. You pre-set a temperature on the chiller and the unit will then bring the temperature of the water down to meet that temperature and keep it there.

This is achieved but using a standard compressor like in a fridge.

Chiller - Is it loud?

We have been asked a fair few times how loud these units are and to be totally honest they are a lot quieter then you would expect for example the Titan 500 is about 20db.

Also you only hear them when the compressor working to get to a temperature or keeping it there they are not on all the time.

As a rule of thumb you’re not going to hear it over your games but the people who want absolute silence make want to move to a different room.

Chiller - Is it BIG?

In short yes, these units are a fair size.

you can look in each unit for detailed description including size but be careful they can be big and heavy dependant on the unit you select.

we advise you check this before ordering

Chiller - do I need anything else?!?

Yes you will need accessories to go with the chiller unit.

Firstly you will need the correct thread convertors for your selected chiller

[​IMG]

you will then need the bards for the convertors depending on your tubing size and if you are going sub-ambient (pro's only) you will need insulated tubing as well in the correct size.

[​IMG]

All of these items you need are clearly shown within our chiller section.

I will leave this as an intro for you and open the thread up to any questions you might have :)

2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Just as a precaution, if you go subambient you will need to insulate the board as well. I've done it and killed a few boards in the process.

The Haileas are a very nice product. I've had good luck with them both in the aquarium (their original use) and in PCs. I'd stand behind them.

3. aquatuning

Indeed that was correct and I will be looking into showing people how to do that correctly in the future but so people dont get too excited we will keep it at a novice level for now :)

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I know you knew better, just wanted to make sure we didn't get a strange request sent your way about a new board or something. I understand you're a busy man, I just thought I'd help out.

I'll stick around this one-I've used chillers a fair bit, and I may catch something useful-or simply be a backup to good information.

5. aquatuning

that sounds good to me :)

6. matt...

matt... Slacker

so out of interest what else do you need in a loop if you're using a chiller? I take it radiators become redundant, but do you need a pump?

7. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Yes you still need a pump.

8. aquatuning

To be honest you still need all the standard components. the chiller doesnot have a pump so you do need that and they way that i would do it is have a normal WC loop with the option to attach the chiller via quick connects for example so you can still move you pc.

9. matt...

matt... Slacker

thanks for the enlightenment...

Tags: