1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Chinese firm offers free mobile coverage for the Tube

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 21 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

In Japan, making phone-calls on trains and subways and buses is forbidden. Now that's a golden rule.

3. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

That was an awesome rule when I was over there taking the bullet train and metro. It actually allowed everyone to relax and enjoy the ride without without having to talk over people with cell phones.

4. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Given it is hard enough to actually converse with someone sitting next to you thanks the noise, I don't imagine phones will fare much better. Newspapers and adverts are the entertainment of choice for a reason - because they don't require you to hear them!

5. Greenie

Greenie What's a Dremel?

Is 'Conservative MP Patrick Mercer' aware that Huawei make loads of the telephone and mobile communication devices we already use? Not to mention smartphones, routers and other networking equipment.

That statement seems like pointless fear mongering to me. Just because they are a Chinese company doesn't mean they are cyber criminals. It's just like labeling all Muslims terrorists (Hint: They're not).

6. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Might as well wait a little longer so that they can set up 4G (not 3.9G i.e. LTE and WiMax) reception when the tech and standards are finally available.

7. d3m0n_edge

d3m0n_edge Lost Is Your Soul

Gosh, just because a handful of the Chinese nation are cell phone hackers, it doesn't mean that the entire of the Chinese population are all hackers. Talk about profiling or labeling! Whatever happened to diversity?

8. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

yeah... it's not like 90% of consumer electronics already don't come from that side of the globe anyway...

also...
    Very Happy with my Huawei U8230 :D

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

NO. DO NOT PUT PHONES ON THE TUBE.

THE LAST THING I WANT TO HEAR IN THE MORNING IS 'HOW ABSOLUTELY MASHED AMY WAS NIGHT AND HOW YOU CANT BELIEVE SHE SLEPT WITH TIM FROM ACCOUNTING. YOU KNOW, THE GUY WITH THE BIG NOSE'

I dont need to know about your damn Issues on the Northern Line each morning.

10. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

OMG she slept with tim to....

11. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Let's be honest, who hasn't.... But the point still stands!

13. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Seems like a bad idea to me. I get a lot of buses and I used to hate listening to peoples calls. My solution to that though was to get some noise isolating canal-phones and be blissfully unaware of everything.

14. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

As much as I do not like listing to phone calls I do not want to be in a place where I can not make them for long. While for the average worker having a constant line to the office is something they do not need or want, for those who run said company or have higher positions need the ability to be able to make calls from any place at any time. The ability of those on the top to remain connected ensures that problems are fixed quickly and that the average worker is able to keep there job b/c the company is running alright.

This is also why the no phones in cars is stupid too. There are people who actually have important things that they need to be using the phone for. So many important things that there is physically not enough time in a day to get all of these things done, ever. Therefore the ability to communicate while also traveling is needed unless there is a way to make the transit instant or the day longer. Business does not stop because your on a train or in a car, if you do not keep moving with it you will be left behind.

15. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

Or just get one of those nifty cell-phone jammers from the army...

16. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

A lot of cars now come with in-built Bluetooth based handsfree stereos, which work perfectly well and are much safer than having to physically handle the phone as opposed to the steering wheel.

Personally, I don't think this will be a problem. There's often been times where I've needed to make a call/text but can't because I'm underground, usually being delayed. As for the noise, the trains themselves are louder, and I always have my in-ear earphones and iPod to drown it all out anyway. Agreed that it should be 4G enabled though.

17. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

Trust a Tory to hijack for publicity sake a story regarding a sensible communications infrastructure improvement with unfounded, deluded & xenophobic remarks. Huawei equipment is already deployed in existing fixed line networks does this mean the interwebz security has already been breached...hardly. Apologies if this is echoing existing comments but it's just ignorance beyond the ridiculous.

The notion that they're doing it for free is absurd (hence the fear mongering perhaps?) Contradicting the headline the story even points out that the mobile operators are paying for the installation...non story full stop if you ask me. Should read "mobile operators upgrade network coverage on the Tube."

Last edited: 21 Feb 2011
  18. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

Wow!!..........that Ami is such a tramp, i am glad i slept with her and her Mum before Tim did though.
    Most of Talk talk equipment is made by Hauwei IIRC.

19. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

So they are going to install for free and earn money from maintained... Why is the incentive for them to badly install cheap/ unstable gear and sit back and wait for the support calls to roll in.

20. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

I read the source it sounds that Huawei gift the transmission hardware for publicity/positive profile. Mobile Operators invest in the installation & accept ownership of the maintenance for profit. Just a PR stunt rewarded with a no thanks.

Tags: Add Tags