1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Chinese release 'HD-DVD Killer'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 7 Dec 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

cheap is good.

and if regular dvd can play these EVDs... then its the true HD/BlueR killer...

3. Chuff_72

Chuff_72 New Member

An EVD won't work on a regular player, they just use the same red laser tech, which means the players will, in theory, be as cheap as current DVD machines.

Also don't expect to be picking one up anytime soon as the opposition from worldwide big business will put a stop to anyone trying to bring the tech out of China, they've already invested too much in stupid over-complex and expensive new storage *cough*bluray*cough*. :grr:

4. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i like it... tho they never really said how much space it would have on each disk.. but it would still mean a new player to read tho

5. LoneArchon

LoneArchon New Member

I don't think it is to late for this format to take off. In many was it is ahead of the next gen format by using a red laser that has been in production quite some time now. This format could bring HD-DVD/Blu Ray Quailty movie to the consumers at the price of standard DVD. This technology does have big chance since both HD-DVD/Blu Ray have not hit mainstream quite yet with the player still very expensive and the movie also being expensive. The only hold up I see is major film distributors signing on and using this format

6. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

The Hif Def fight has a new contendor. 3 formats, who will win. You decide :).

Another reason not to go out and but a HD DVD player or Blue Ray just yet. And another reason to stick with DVD for a few more years. :)

7. mmorgue

mmorgue New Member

Oh good, another "new" technology involving large plastic discs that spin in clunky mechanisms... :rolleyes:

8. Matkubicki

Matkubicki New Member

QFT

There must be a better way of doing things, hard disks, floppys, cd's blur-ray all the same basic idea, about time we had a change!!

9. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Since the "competition" up until now has mostly involved PR campaigns I'd say no - come on in.

If it's cheaper, comes without an extra licensing fee, and is otherwise as reliable I'd say bring it on!!

10. airchie

airchie New Member

lol,

I think this is great news.
    I think it might just succeed if Blu-Ray and HD-DVD concentrate and fighting each other.

Either way it may force a break in the current stalemate... :)

11. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Bloody hell, just bought my first HD-DVD, dont particularly want it dead.

Hopefully, there will be dual format HD-DVD and BD players in the near future.

I dont see the EVD thingy being very successful unless studio support for the other formats break down.

12. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Active Member

there is a little info here already, as it was being discussed in SD; EVD is really only a really a Chinese only thing at the moment. Unless it really does take off worldwide, it'll probably stay Chinese only.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=125075

13. trailblazer

trailblazer New Member

Sounds like some heavyweights are taking this seriously, that means market outlets worldwide and investment. Could be that the chinese will become the new japanese in economic and industrial terms.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

lets see if this format survives...... 2 cents say it will. :p

15. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Yeah, given that HD-DVD and Blu Ray have had one of the most disapointing launches in recent tech history, there is plenty of room for another to roll in and kill off the other two. If EVDs are cheap, they will win. Historically the cheaper tech always wins even if the other technology is superior.

There is also the stark fact that HD DVD and Blu ray have left the end consumers clueless and confused, unsure which to pick they pick nothing. The clear benefit of the new formats unknown and expensive. Why would anyone pay all the money to upgrade when the content is no better currently than regular DVDs?

Like many, Ill just hug my dvd collection until one of them is on top for good.

16. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

The only disadvantage it has against its competitors that i see is that, they both are connected to the console gaming systems, and therefore they can get support from those people who have purchased one...

17. keith_j_snyder2

keith_j_snyder2 New Member

I think bringing up a cheaper & efficient media is the success of the consumer...I mean do u really want an incredibly expensive media to be in the market?Big companies will never have a problem in giving us the things we want,but the charge for that & that is the place where everyone has to surrender.If a new thing is in the market then its good.Remember strong competition will give the consumer to breath free....

18. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

It will take off in the Asian markets just as VCDs caught on there and is a lot more popular than DVDs. They are always looking for a cheaper more effective medium to release stuff on.

19. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I am personally pro-Blu-ray, as it is a new technology instead of hanging on to old technology. If BD wins then inevitably we will see better yields as more are being produced. Don't forget that the blu-ray has the possibility of additional layers and possibly larger capacity layers.

20. Aankhen

Aankhen New Member

Need more specifics. Capacity? DRM? It's not likely that any major companies would embrace this without major DRM.

Tags: Add Tags