1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Choosing a WoW Realm

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by boiled_elephant, 21 Jan 2008.

1. scooby snacks

scooby snacks What's a Dremel?

Think all of that is pretty much the exact way I think of wow. My friends played wow and that got me interested. Bought the game and joined their guild on the Hellfire realm. It was a good laugh at first, and levelled to mid 50's with them. Soon after my mates got bored and stop playing, so I joined a different and that was where the fun stopped. Most of the guild members were around my level (55ish) with some 70s. At first they were very helpful and good to talk to, but once the majority of them hit level 70, there was a distinct split in the guild with one becoming almost obssessed with raiding kara and hitting the level 70 instances with mind numbing repetition. Then a ridiculous set of rules was enforced, and then the arguments (as mentioned by FaIIen) started causing about 10 people to leave (the only people who werent complete morons in that guild). I soon left that guild and the game became very boring, daily quests and the occasional visit to an instance in a pug. Decided to reroll a different character and it was fun again:rock: kept in contact with a couple of the few decent people from the guild my other char was in as they were also levelling new characters. Got to level 70 again, this time saved all gold whilst levelling (and daily quests with both chars:sigh: boring) got the stupidly expensive flying mount, which was fun for about an hour:lol: Game became boring again. Then I got a blessing in disguise......

Logged on one morning to find all my saleable items on both chars had been sold and all my gold was gone...The surprising thing was I wasn't too bothered, thats when I realised I'd had enough of wow. after a few days of not playing I was informed by Blizzard that my SOME of my items would be reimbursed when I next logged and contacted a GM. Did that and didn't get a reply for 3 hours:wallbash: Vendored any remaing bag items, emailed the gold to my mate and deleted both chars. That was a few months ago and haven't missed it at all.

Edit: Just to answer the original question. I only played on one realm (Hellfire- eu) and tbh, I wouldn't recommend it for Alliance. When I first joined, it seemed ok and early on talked to some sound people but more recently it seemed to be just populated by morons who'd do anything to make the game less enjoyable and when questioned about it, they'd just reply with a barrage of abuse. Both my chars were Alliance, I was told by a friend of mine that levelling his horde char on the same realm was a much better experience with nowhere near the same amount of idiots and abuse.

2. Renze

Renze What's a Dremel?

I got my girlfriend into WoW last week. I told her I'd been playing it on and off for a few years and she wanted to see what all the fuss was about. So she created her own account and I re-rolled and we've been questing together. Its a lot of fun, but she'll prob get bored after a while :(

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I don't know why or how we side-tracked into that tired, worn-out Trainspotting quote (which I have on a poster, and am therefore sick of), but it's not relevant to WoW. Gaming doesn't induce any kind of lifestyle in people, it's usually everything else. True, a lot of gamers are sad, fat and lonely. But I think gaming is an effect, rather than a cause, in that situation.
    Tbh, I've abandoned hope of reaching high levels in WoW. Maybe I just suck, but when people casually mention their 2 lv70 characters that they worked up before getting bored, I have to laugh - in two months, I got to lv17. The game is ****ing huge.
    Then again, I only play it casually, for fun and the social aspect, rather than to run through it and power level. Which, by the sounds of it, is missing the point of WoW. (Either I'm playing it wrong, or several million people are.)
    I'm still playing, but my patience is waning. There are NO interesting people on there, let alone interesting people who can spell or have a spare second to party, talk, help out, raid or recommend guilds. My experience of other players so far is a few teenagers running past in a mad rush to level up. So much for social dynamics: there's more interaction in the Elder ****ing Scrolls.

4. scooby snacks

scooby snacks What's a Dremel?

I guess that was aimed at me:waah::lol: tbh it wasn't a flippant comment about levelling 2 chars. I was lucky to find a guild who were fun and helpful at first, as when I joined them there was a huge amount of group quests to do which really helped levelling. Tbh, I didnt' power level my first character at all, from what I've read it took a relatively long time and being the first time it was all fun and not tedious. I did level the second character quickly due to knowing how to do the quests and wanted to start high level battlegrounds asap. Nowt wrong with going through the game as quickly or as slowly as you want imo:thumb: I played it on quite a regular basis for about 5 months and don't really think I'll play it again, but on the other hand my sister and brother in law have been playing since wow came out and haven't seen any of the expansion material as play it very sporadically. Different strokes for different folkes:thumb:

5. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

25%, LOL!

That makes me addicted then, I do high end instances. Seriously dude, look up the definition of an addict in the dictionary.

I resent the fact most people call me an addict without meeting me - without seeing that I goto uni, that I do my assignments, that I goto my band socials and rehearsals and even the commitee meetings. I party, I pub, I have a GF, I eat well and hell I even play other games.

The fact is most people in wow aren't addicted, they just enjoy the game. Guild leaders you point out - who yeah spend more time playing it than anybody else I would assume dont do it because they are addicted to a game, they shouldnt have to if its their fix - they do it because they enjoy strategys and seeing the new content. To further yourself in wow isnt like furthering yourself in another game, you actually need to spend a fairly substancial amount of time planning and organising it as you need to coordinate when 25 of you want to be able to play at the same time.

I have been playing with friends for 2 years now, we are part of a mature 18+ guild who enjoy the game as much as anybody and we are just starting in MH. Organising your live around wow isnt neccessarily a bad thing (and when i say around it, I really mean incorporating it into what you do already). Your way of thinking is like the medias... WoW -> addiction -> bad. Organising when you play wow works in the opposite to this as you are constricting the amount of time you spend playing into chunks when everybody will know to be there and your time will be spent most profitably.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2008
  6. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

Get Final Fantasy XI :)

7. boiled_elephant

...and the thread dies!

Saying the words "Final Fantasy XI" or "Final Fantasy IX" in any conversation, anywhere, will make you automatically fail at life.
    Oops.

8. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Sevenupyours 70 human warrior btw OT sorry.

9. Renze

Renze What's a Dremel?

FFXI is way too slow, punishing and demanding compared to WoW and I could never get used to the interface. If it wasn't Final Fantasy it would have much less players.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2008
  10. boiled_elephant

If it didn't have Final Fantasy on the case, it would never have made it past development.

11. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

Addiction is doing something repeatedly even if you don't like it. I'm pretty sure that there have been times during raiding that you sat there doing the same thing for the 43593496th time asking yourself things like, what's the meaning of life?, Did the egg made the chicken or the chicken made the egg? And other philosophical questions which submerge from the boredom of your so called "fun time with friends" which at the end of the day it's just an excuse to boost your ego by getting more epix. You sir are addicted to ego and you will make anything to feel important just like everyone else playing this game. This is what people love about wow, the fact or should I say the illusion that anyone can become important in it.

On the other hand if you trully mean what you are saying, that you are actually having true,meaningful,solid fun running the same dungeon for the 13599469th time, then you might not be addicted but for sure you are a masochist. :p

I was addicted and a fool for not realising earlier that I was only spending so much time to feel important inside a game. I don't regret it for the times of having actual fun with the game but for the most part I felt consumed, tired and absorbed by it without being able to stop.

12. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

That's a story for a large percentage of the WoW players with purples or greater. I certainly know I felt like that, I really did like feeling important in that, because anyone can, as long as the spend the time.

13. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Yep, fun time with friends I meet up with at LANs some of whom I have known since I was about 13. I dont deny there are times when I raid when I just cant be arsed, but on the other hand im not a ******* - see if I just up and left whenever I felt like it then id be leaving the other guys in the shits. If you're telling me you are that guy then you suck, its a team game and sometimes the team has to come first.

Ego and epic loot are mutually excusive things, nothing in my real life is affected by the state of my wow character.

You think footballers are "addicted" to the game because they turn up to play whenever its sceduled, because they watch it on TV at home, because they get loot (moneys) for doing it ? You'd easily reply to this by saying "well thats a job olol" which is true but its the same kind of idea. If a footballer didnt turn up and left their team in the shits then he's often a selfish *******. And we dont even ASK that you turn up to every raid, just that if your going to turn up then stay.

Just because you know a dungeon doesnt mean its boring. I dont run farm content over and over. We killed vashj and kael in the past month and are already phasing them out for bigger and better things.

Your experiances dont reflect everybodys, I realise it can be a consuming game but you have to draw the line yourself. If you go for all the rep quests, levelling alts, running daily heroics and wahtnot ON TOP OF raiding then you are bound to feel like you are doing too much. If however like me you just turn up for the raiding fun you get to have a RL.

Again I dont appreciate being called things like a masochist for enjoying something you didn't. WoW doesn't hurt me, im not addicted, I enjoy it and I make sure I do everything else in my life thats important before it so who the hell are you to call me names for it ?

14. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

I'm not a leaver...it's the other people that leave with stupid excuses and make me regret for wasting my time for nothing. I can't afford to waste my time because of others but at the same time I understand that if someone has to eat or feel like leaving then he has all the right to do so and I'm not the one to blame him since this is a COMPUTER GAME. Most people don't realise that, wow is supposed to be a game and not a social event. People that tend to convert it to a social event have got it all wrong.

If you go to a friendly football game and decide to leave you will have to confront your team mates physically and if you leave like that they will probably never invite you to play again. In wow you will just say goodbye press a button and at the same time join a different server. Football is a team sport, you get to cooperate with people exercise and have fun. With wow you are entertained by just sitting in your chair, pressing buttons. ( I won't bother explaining the difference between wow and conventional computer games).

What's the point of doing the same dungeon over and over again ? Rep,Loot,Badges,Quests which all have an end to pretty items of all colors and stats.
    progression = materialism = ego. As I said, behind everything worthy in this game (team spirit, lore, competition etc) there is your need to feel unique and important in a materialistic way off course. And that is the main reason all hell breaks loose in a guild once raiding has begun (drama, whining, politics).

The line is already drawn for me since I'm a full time applications support engineer offering 24/7 support for my company as well. Before I quit the game I was dedicating 2-3 hours 4 times per week and I've reached to a point were I logged in for 2 hours sitting in Shatrath and doing nothing at all. I tried raiding "casually" (the big joke) but this is impossible since most of the times something happened, someone had to leave, the raid was transfered half an hour later and so on, which made me waste most of my time in game, sitting and waiting for the next grindfest to come. Only option ? Roll a new character. No, thanks!

Well if you enjoy it, good for you. Funny thing is, I kept saying the same thing to myself a year ago.

15. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Why can it not be both ? You suggest that all games should be ultimatele a solo experiance, but I don't see why talking over the internet is any differant than talking over a phone. Im playing a game with friends who share a common interest, you think it will be more meaningful if I call them up on the phone? You think I will be more entertained?

If people feel the need to leave mid raid for a ******** reason then you are right, thats fine, they have that right. However next raid they don't get the right to have a raid spot over someone who wont waste the other peoples time. In the end it comes down to having respect for your fellow players, if you dont get it then by all means don't give them any back - but as I am shown respect from them then I feel the need to pay it back in kind.

If I dont/cant raid one night, I dont sign up. If I cant stay all night I put a little note by my signup informing others this is the case then they can pick the raid respectively.

I played in a 4 guild alliance pre TBC and we were pretty good, considering the politics of having 4 guilds form around europe trying to coop in a raid. One of the guilds however was run by jerks for the main part and at the time there was nothing we could do about it and they knew it. But come TBC we decided to recruit into our own little group of friends - we were selective, picking strictly mature (18+ anyway ;)) players who abided to our laws (we dont use dkp or anything like that, its a need basis). Now we are in a very nice little guild who are progressing at a nice rate.

WoW is a computer game, I accept that, but at the end of the day I cant be bothered to get together 4 times a week with people from all over the UK and Europe to play board games. Its as much a social tool as facebook is (though granted with less people).

I dont see why a non physical game and a physical game are any differant? You think a board game is more like a computer game because you are sitting down, but better because you had to gather people up for it ? You think football is better than wow even if the person doesnt have as much fun? A game is a game, no matter if its on the computer, on a board or IRL. Dungeons and Dragons is fantasy, dont'cha know.

Sigh... this is something people still dont get :p

I like to raid to see new encounters. I can't see new encounters if I have gimpy gear as I WILL DIE.

Means I do farm run instances for a while yeah, but probalbly like 4/5 times in total will i run a whole instance.

You'll say "thats what they want, you to run instances over and over olol" and yeah to an extent it is. It doesnt mean im going to sacrifice my wednesday night banding to go do another run through kara to gear my alts does it ? Does it mean im going to not go to lazerquest on sunday to raid ssc ? Was tuesday pancake night and was I actually in Hyjal rather than at my GFs eating pancakes ?

The answer to all the questions and more... is No.

So what if you were sitting in shattrath for ages? I presume you had some social interaction with your friends/guildies? Personally I don't just sit around in shatt doing nothing, I pretty much log on for reasons in particular.

Again, your guild seems to be pretty ****. We take half an hour to launch a raid and generally everybody stays the full time - if people have to leave they get someone to replace them in line and its a smooth takeover. We aren't even the most hardcore of guilds, about 8th best horde on our server or so.

I understand having to quit for your job, I usually cant play at all in august as I work 8 hours a day 6 days a week at a bar in the festival (so generally night work).

I kept saying the same thing to myself a year ago too, and here I am saying the same :)

[/walloftext]

edit: Oh and FYI addiction...

the term alcoholic is thrown about far too much as well tbh.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2008
  16. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Well said Bogo, couldn't have worded that better myself :p

17. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

ok whatever, I just find it pointless, you still see it as fun.

One thing I want to say about entertainment. There is entertainment which has to do purely with fun and there is some other thing which I'm not sure if there is an english word for it, but in greek it's called psychagogia. It means to lift your spirit and caltivate your inner self psychologically,mentally or even physically. Activities that are considered to belong to this category is book reading, going to the theatre/cinema, interacting with other people, making a conversation with arguments, listening to music, athletism etc. Off course I am talking about quality stuff, so if you go to the cinema to see spiderman it's entertainment and not psychagogia.

Here's a little tip, if after the activity you feel like something has changed inside you (not your character in wow:worried:) , you learned something new, you became 0.00001% better than before then it's psychagogia. On the other hand if you feel tired, empty, or mentally exhausted then it's entertainment. Some activities can be both, it all depends on quality. Football and chess got something that MMOs don't, and that's real human interaction. Most computer games, loud repetitive music, mindless action films, drinking in order to have fun and stuff like that are entertainment.

Offcourse for the modern people nowadays entertainment is more accessible and easier to get

18. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

With WoW sometimes when I go to LAN parties I will meet up with guildmates or friends online. I also met a few people I play WoW with when I was in College and still do this day visit them and vice-versa. I do agree with you that there isn't much human interaction in WoW, but some of us do play with RL friends and (as the tip on the loading screen says) go outside of Azeroth as well :)

This whole discussion that this topic has descended into kinda feels like quicksand. I don't see it ever getting back on-topic, and it looks like it's slowly just going to die out :p

19. jacklazara

jacklazara What's a Dremel?

Best answer ever! )

Tags: