1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Choosing the Best CPU (Batch, not Model)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by H2O, 22 Sep 2009.

1. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

I'm going to be spending a weekend in Boston late next month, and I have the chance to go to the Microcenter and pick out a CPU. I've been eying a Core i7 920 for some time now, and I've finally talked myself into buying one, although I might wait until December-January to get the motherboard and RAM.

Anyways, I was wondering if there are any things I could look for when picking up the CPU. Obviously, I'd get a D0 stepping, but I realize that the CPU performance, especially with large overclocks, can vary from batch to batch. I've also heard an urban rumor that the CPU's position on the silicon can affect performance. Is this true? What are some things I should look for when picking one out, especially since I will probably end up pairing the 920 with a E760 Classified and I would like to go past 4GHz?

Thanks!

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

It's pretty much the luck of the draw..

IIRC the center of the silicon sheet is where the top end OMGWTFBBQ models are taken from, but there really isn't a way to guarantee getting one with an i7 920. 975 (or whatever the $1000+ one is now), yes.